February 27, 1963 |
Wayne, New Jersey, USA
|Other names||Kimberly Dare, Kim Wilde, Stacey Nixx, Stacey Nix|
|Height||5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)|
|No. of adult films||162 (per IAFD)|
Barbara Dare (born February 27, 1963) is the stage name of a Jewish-American former pornographic actress. She was one of the industry's initial contract performers with Essex Video and Vivid Entertainment and is an AVN and XRCO Hall of Fame inductee.
Dare began appearing in adult films in the mid-1980s and also made appearances in magazines such as Hustler, Swank, and High Society. In 1989, she joined fellow adult film actress Stephanie Swift as authors of a monthly article for Swank.
Dare was one of the top adult film stars of the 1980s. She appeared in scenes with several (at the time) top adult films stars, including Tracey Adams and Ginger Lynn. She became one of the first women in the industry to sign an exclusivity contract with Essex Video for 10 movies a year and an annual salary of $150,000 and would later leave that studio to sign with Vivid Entertainment and become one of the earliest Vivid Girls. Dare appeared in her last film in 1994.
She also had minor roles in mainstream productions such as the Roy Scheider and Ann-Margret film 52 Pick-Up in 1986 and the live-action/animated Comedy-Horror B-movie Evil Toons (where she was credited as "Stacey Nix") in 1992.
- Slippery When Wet (1986)
- Blame it on Ginger (1986)
- Barbara the Barbarian (1987)
- Ginger and Spice (1987)
- Girls who Dig Girls 8 (1988)
- Barbara Dare's Bad (1988)
- Angela Baron Takes a Dare (1988)
- Sex in Dangerous Places (1988)
- For Her Pleasure Only (1989)
- Ginger then and Now (1990)
- Where the Boys Aren't 2 (1990)
- Bratgirls (1992)
- Hannah Does Her Sisters (1986)
- 1987 AVN Award - Best New Starlet
- 1989 AVN Award - Best Actress, Video (Naked Stranger)
- 1990 AVN Award - Best All-Girl Sex Scene, Video (True Love) with April West
- AVN Hall of Fame inductee
- XRCO Hall of Fame inductee
- Barbara Dare at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Dare, Barbara. "Barbara Dare: A Curious Woman". The Rialto Report. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- Jared Rutter (2009-09-30). "Vivid's 25th Anniversary: How Steven Hirsch's Company Thrust Porn Into Mainstream America". AVN. Archived from the original on 4 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Bright, Susie (1990). Susie Sexpert's lesbian sex world. Cleis Press. p. 100. ISBN 978-0939416356.
- "Porn Star Spotlight: Barbara Dare", High Society, USA: Magna Publishing Group, vol. 12 no. 2, p. 33, June 1987
- Swank Magazine, March 1990
- Jennings, David (2000). Skinflicks : the inside story of the x-rated video industry. Bloomington, IN.: Distributed by 1st Books Library. ISBN 978-1587211843.
- Rutter, Jared. "Vivid's 25th Anniversary: How Steven Hirsch's Company Thrust Porn Into Mainstream America". Adult Video News. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Crouch, Gregory. "Essex Video Faces Legal, Financial Setbacks : Pornographic Film Distributor Goes Bust; Company's President Busted". latimes.com. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Stars Shine For Vivid, Matt O'Conner, 2006-03-17, Accessed 2011-07-13
- Butler, Jerry (1990). Raw Talent: The Adult Film Industry as Seen by Its Most Popular Male Star. Prometheus Books. p. 147. ISBN 978-0879756253.
- "Frontline: Season 5, Episode 13 - Death of a Porn Queen". IMDb. 8 June 1987. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "52 Pick-Up (1986) Full Cast & Crew". IMDb. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Evil Toons (1992)". IMDb. 26 November 1993. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Past Winners". Archived from the original on 18 January 2014. Retrieved 2007-09-22.
- "AVN Hall of Fame". Archived from the original on 20 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-29.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". Archived from the original on July 20, 2011. Retrieved 2007-11-29.