Barbara Hillary (adventurer)
Barbara Hillary (born June 12, 1931, in San Juan Hill, Manhattan, currently known as Lincoln Center) was the first known African-American woman to reach the North Pole, which she did at the age of 75 in 2007. She subsequently reached the South Pole in January 2011 at the age of 79, becoming the first African-American woman to reach both poles.
Awards and honors
- Special Citation from the United States House of Representatives
- Special Resolution 466 honoring and recognizing her achievements introduced by Representative Gregory Meeks
- “Individual of Inspiration and Dedication” award from the Office of the Borough President, Marty Markowitz, Brooklyn, New York
- Special Proclamation from Southampton Township
- Special Acknowledgment from the Explorers Club, Lowell Thomas Awards Dinner
- Life Membership, Frederick A. Cook Society
- Life Membership, National Rifle Association
- Wildlife Alliance Membership
- Honorary Member of OWL, the National Older Women's League
- "Woman of Courage Award" from the National Organization for Women
- “Spirit of America Award” from the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association
- Rotary Club Award from the Rotary Club of Southampton, Long Island
- Rotary Club Award from the Rotary Club of Great Neck, Long Island
- "Twisted Spike Award" for the athletic achievement of skiing to the North Pole.
- Presentation Knife Award from Buck Knives
- She has also been honored by Sri Chinmoy, a noted visionary and spiritual leader, as an "Individual of Inspiration and Dedication"
- Sri Chinmoy Champion Athlete Award
- Buick Club Membership
- Barbara Hillary's personal website
- Resolution from 110th Congress H.Res. 466. Library of Congress.
- "Black woman reaches North Pole", CNN Interview 5/18/09.
- "Fear makes you more careful", CNN.com interview.
- I Know a Woman Like That - Documentary by Elaine Madsen
- Meghan Barr, "75-year-old cancer survivor skis to North Pole", Seattle Times, May 7, 2007.
- "Pioneering Black Woman Proves Dreams Have No Expiry Date", Aging Horizons Bulletin.
- "On Top of the World", Cross-Country Skier Magazine.
- "The Arctic's Grande Dame", Women's Adventure Magazine.
- "Lessons From the North Pole", Advance for Radiation Oncology.
- Lauren Collins, "True North", New Yorker Magazine, March 26, 2007.
- Rose Russell, "Black woman, 75, skis to North Pole and marks a first", Toledo Blade, May 12, 2007.
- Patricia Salber, "Barbara Hillary – a new kind of oldster", The Doctor Weighs In, May 7, 2007.