|Born||October 2, 1960|
|Awards||Harvey Award 1996|
Kesel initially came into the comics world after writing a 10-page letter to editor Dick Giordano regarding the portrayal of female comic book characters. With her then-husband Karl Kesel, she co-wrote a Hawk and Dove miniseries in 1988 which was drawn by Rob Liefeld. She wrote a Spelljammer comic from 1990-1991.
Kesel is a very outspoken opponent of sexism in the comic book industry. She is known for her strong female characters, influencing her husband's work on Lois Lane in the Superman titles and creating Grace, the ruler of the Golden City location in Comics' Greatest World.
Comics she has written include:
- The First
- WildC.A.T.s #35-36
- Hawk and Dove Annual #2
- Aliens vs Predator: Booty
- Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl
- Legends of the Dark Crystal
- Rogue Angel: Teller of Tall Tales
- Ghost Whisperer: The Muse
Comics she has edited:
- Malice Vundabar
- Speed Queen
- Catalyst: Agents of Change (Team)
- Lindy Karsten
- Ultra Girl
- Sephie of Meridian
- Ilahn of Cadador
- Bloody Mary
- Princess Tot-ma
Kesel has been nominated for the 1991 "Best Editor" Eisner Award for Badlands, Aliens: Genocide and Star Wars. In 1995, she was nominated for "Best Anthology" and "Best Graphic Album of Previously Published Material" Harvey Awards for, respectively, Instant Piano and Hellboy: Seed of Destruction. She won the 1996 "Best Graphic Album of Previously Published Work" Harvey Award, for Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August.
- Manning, Matthew K.; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "1980s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. Dorling Kindersley. p. 234. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9.
Written by Barbara and Karl Kesel and drawn by future superstar Rob Liefeld, this five-issue miniseries reestablished the famous pair for a new generation.
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. p. 21. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Home of The Pack website. Accessed April 15, 2008
- 1992 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners, Comic Book Award Almanac
- 1995 Harvey Award Nominees[dead link]
- 1996 Harvey Award Nominees[dead link]
||This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2009)|
- The Accidental Writer: Barbara Kesel, Sequential Tart, May 2000
- Chronicling The CrossGen Creators: Part I, Comics Bulletin, May 24, 2000