Barbara M. Lynn
|Barbara M. G. Lynn|
Judge Lynn, circa 1999
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas|
May 1, 2016
|Preceded by||Jorge Antonio Solis|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas|
November 22, 1999
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Harry Barefoot Sanders, Jr.|
|Born||1952 (age 64–65)
Binghamton, New York
|Education||University of Virginia B.A.
Dedman School of Law J.D.
Early life and education
Born in Binghamton, New York, Lynn received a Bachelor of Arts degree from University of Virginia in 1973. She received a Juris Doctor from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law in 1976.
Lynn was in private practice from 1976 to 1999 at the law firm Carrington Coleman in Dallas. Lynn was the firm's first female associate (1976 - 1982) and then became the firm's first female partner (1983 - 1999) prior to joining the bench.
Federal judicial service
On March 25, 1999, Lynn was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas vacated by Harry Barefoot Sanders, Jr. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on November 17, 1999 and received her commission on November 22, 1999. On May 1, 2016, she became the Chief Judge of the Northern District of Texas, the first woman to hold the position.
Dallas Mayor corruption
Lynn was the presiding judge in the case of former Dallas Mayor Pro-Tempore Don Hill. Hill, and his wife Sheila Farrington Hill were sentenced on February 26, 2010 after being convicted on bribery and money laundering charges. Don Hill was sentenced to eighteen years in prison while his wife was sentenced to nine years in prison. The judge called the actions "a betrayal to our city".
- "Lynn, Barbara M. - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "District Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn". United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- Rogers, Tim (May 1, 2005). "The Gentlemen's Lawyer". D Magazine. Archived from the original on March 6, 2012. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Lynn to replace Solis as next chief judge on May 1". www.dallasnews.com. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- "Three in Dallas City Hall case sentenced in a 'betrayal of our city'". Dallas Morning News. February 27, 2010. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
Jorge Antonio Solis
|Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Harry Barefoot Sanders, Jr.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas