Barbara Radice (born 29 November 1943) is an Italian design critic, writer, and editor.
She was born in Como, Italy, and graduated from the Catholic University of Milan in 1968. The Italian avant-garde Memphis Group design collective was formed during a gathering at her home in Milan in 1980, and Radice is the only non-architect counted among the group's seven founding members.
She became the group's historian and spokesperson, and published the book Memphis: Research, Experiences, Results, Failures and Successes of New Design (Rizzoli, 1984), which served as a manifesto for the group's design philosophy and highlighted the work of designers Nathalie du Pasquier, Matteo Thun, and Martine Bedin. Radice wrote many articles exploring the themes and theories of this new aesthetic movement, and was editor of the design and architecture magazine Terrazzo from 1988-1997. She was married to the Memphis designer Ettore Sottsass, who she met in 1976 at the Venice Biennale. She published a critical biography of Sottsass in 1993 and edited a book of his photography in 2003.
- McQuiston, Liz (1988). Women in Design: A Contemporary View. Trefoil Publications. ISBN 9780862941055.
- "Radice, Barbara 1943–". 2007-01-01.
- Zurmuehlen, Marilyn (1992). "Post-Modernist Objects: A Relation between the Past and Present". Art Education. 45 (5): 10–16. doi:10.2307/3193360. JSTOR 3193360.
- "Ten Questions for Memphis member Barbara Radice | Design | Agenda | Phaidon". Phaidon. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Devlin, Polly (2017-09-05). New York Behind Closed Doors. Gibbs Smith. ISBN 9781423647324.
- Adamson, Glenn (2011). "Recent acquisitions of postmodern design at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London". The Burlington Magazine. 153 (1302): 597–600. JSTOR 23055425.
- Buchanan, Richard (1985). "Declaration by Design: Rhetoric, Argument, and Demonstration in Design Practice". Design Issues. 2 (1): 4–22. doi:10.2307/1511524. JSTOR 1511524.
- Banham, Joanna (1997-05-01). Encyclopedia of Interior Design. Routledge. ISBN 9781136787577.
- Slesin, Suzanne (1984-12-13). "DESIGN BOOKSHELF; SOME ATTRACTIVE NEW VOLUMES LOOK FORWARD, OTHERS BACK". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Moliterno, Gino (2002-09-11). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture. Routledge. ISBN 9781134758777.
- Slesin, Suzanne (1988-11-10). "CURRENTS; Part Magazine, Part Books, All Style". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "When Ettore Sottsass met Barbara Radice | Architecture | Agenda | Phaidon". Phaidon. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Lange, Alexandra (2014-12-05). "'Sottsass,' by Philippe Thomé". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "Ettore Sottsass Metaphors Written by Ettore Sottsass, Barbara Radice and Milco Carboni - Rizzoli New York - Rizzoli New York". www.rizzoliusa.com. Retrieved 2017-07-21.