|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 47th district
January 15, 2008 – June 29, 2016
|Preceded by||Mark Wagoner|
|Succeeded by||Derek Merrin|
April 29, 1961 |
Youngstown, Ohio, U.S.
|Residence||Monclova Township, Ohio, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Toledo|
Barbara R. Sears (born December 5, 1966) is a Republican politician who formerly represented the 47th District of the Ohio House of Representatives from 2008 to 2016. She served as the Majority Floor Leader in the Ohio House of Representatives. Her district included much of suburban Toledo, Ohio.
Life and career
Sears graduated from the University of Toledo in 1983.  She served on the city council of Sylvania, Ohio from 1998–2008, serving as president of the council from 2004–2008. She is a co-owner of Noble and Sears, Inc.
Ohio House of Representatives
In 2012, Sears won election to a third term, defeating Democrat Jeff Bunck with 60.18% of the vote. Sears came under fire from ultra-conservatives in 2014 for her outspoken support for Medicaid expansion, which many saw as a facet of Obamacare. Regardless, she easily won a primary for her seat to take another term in 2014.
Sears won a final term in 2014 unopposed and served as House Majority Leader for half of the 131st Ohio General Assembly. She resigned prior to the expiration of her term in 2016 to the Assistant Director of the Governor's Office of Health Transformation for Ohio Governor John Kasich. On December 23, 2016 she was  sworn in as Ohio's new Medicaid director.
- "Barbara R. Sears, Assistant Majority Floor Leader State Representative (R)". Member Details. Ohio House of Representatives. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Representative Barbara R. Sears's Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Ohio Chamber of Commerce, "2012 General Assembly Primary Candidates," January 17, 2012
- "Kasich: Compassion trumps ideology". Toledo Blade. Toledo, Ohio. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- "Rep. Barbara Sears to leave Ohio House". ABC 13. Toledo, Ohio. 2016-06-08. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Barbara Sears sworn in as new Ohio Medicaid director". Columbus dispatch. Columbus, Ohio. 2016-12-27. Retrieved 2016-12-27.