Barbara Thompson (Mormon)
Barbara Thompson in 2018
|Second Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency|
|March 31, 2007– March 31, 2012|
|Called by||Julie B. Beck|
|Predecessor||Anne C. Pingree|
|Successor||Linda S. Reeves|
June 13, 1952 |
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University
University of Utah
Thompson was born in San Luis Obispo, California, to W. Peter and Fern Rymer Thompson. The family later moved to Granger, Utah. Thompson received a bachelor's degree in social work from Brigham Young University and a master's degree in social work from the University of Utah.
Thompson worked for the Utah Department of Human Services for 30 years. After retiring, she served as the executive director of The Christmas Box International, an international organization that serves abused and/or neglected children.
LDS Church service
Thompson served as a missionary for the LDS Church in the Germany Hamburg Mission. Thompson has served as a ward activities committee chair, gospel doctrine teacher, Young Women camp director, Laurel and Beehive advisor, ward Young Women president, ward Relief Society counselor, and Relief Society general board member. Thompson believes that “when sisters have a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel, they are moved to action.” On March 31, 2007, during the church's general conference, Thompson was accepted by the church as the second counselor to Julie B. Beck in the general presidency of the Relief Society. Beck and her counselors were released in March 2012.
- "Leader Biographies: Barbara Thompson". The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Newsroom. Archived from the original on 6 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "General Relief Society Presidency and Board". The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. March 2007. Archived from the original on 2 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "Barbara Thompson", Liahona, May 2007, p. 128
- "General Auxiliaries: Sister Barbara Thompson", lds.org
- "The Christmas Box International". Charity Navigator. December 2006. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints titles|
Anne C. Pingree
|Second Counselor in the Relief Society
March 31, 2007 –March 31, 2012
Linda S. Reeves
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|