|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Awards||Fellow, American Psychological Society 1995|
Fellow, Cognitive Science Society 2002
Fellow, Society of Experimental Psychologists 2004
|Institutions||Stanford University, Columbia University|
Barbara Tversky (nee Gans) is a professor emerita of psychology at Stanford University and a professor of psychology and education at Teachers College, Columbia University. Tversky specializes in cognitive psychology.
Areas of work
She is an authority in the areas of visual-spatial reasoning and collaborative cognition. Tversky’s research interests include language and communication, comprehension of events and narratives, and the mapping and modeling of cognitive processes. She is the author of Mind in Motion: How Action Shapes Thought. Basic Books, 2019.
She has served on the faculty of Stanford University since 1977 and of Teachers College, Columbia University, since 2005.
In addition, Tversky has served on the editorial boards of multiple prominent academic journals, including Psychological Research (1976–1984), the Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition (1976–1982), the Journal of Experimental Psychology: General (1982–1988), Memory and Cognition (1989–2001), and Cognitive Psychology (1995–2002).
Tversky was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2013, named a Fellow of the American Psychological Society in 1995, the Cognitive Science Society in 2002, and the Society of Experimental Psychologists in 2004. In 1999, she received the Phi Beta Kappa Excellence in Teaching Award.
- "Barbara Tversky, Stanford University Faculty Profile". Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Barbara Tversky, Teachers College, Columbia University Faculty Profile". Archived from the original on 2009-05-27. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "FABBS :: In Honor Of... Barbara Tversky". Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Amos Tversky, leading decision researcher, dies at 59".
- "Daniel Kahneman on Why Our Judgment is Flawed — and What to do About It (People I (Mostly) Admire Ep. 27)".
- "Interview with Barbara Tversky". Interviews with Max Raskin. Retrieved 2021-07-27.