Colin Heber Percy
|Narrated by||Michael Ealy|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||4|
|Production company(s)||October Films|
|Original network||History Channel|
|Original release||June 6– June 27, 2016|
The series is told from the perspective of leaders of peoples that fought Rome, who were termed as barbarians by the Romans. These individuals were famous for challenging the rule of Rome. Depictions of these leaders and historical events are interspersed with brief commentary from modern scholars, historians and experts on military and public policy.
- Nicholas Pinnock as Hannibal
- Jefferson Hall as Viriathus
- Ben Batt as Spartacus
- Tom Hopper as Arminius
- Kirsty Mitchell as Boudica
- Steven Waddington as Fritigern
- Gavin Drea as Alaric
- Emil Hostina as Attila
- Richard Brake as Geiseric
|No.||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1||"Resistance"||June 6, 2016||0.970|
|An epic 700-year battle for freedom begins as the barbarians rise against Rome; Hannibal Barca builds an alliance and crosses the Alps; the shepherd Viriathus unleashes a wave of resistance to save his people from destruction.|
|2||"Rebellion"||June 13, 2016||0.777|
|Rome brings its enemies inside its borders as the age of Empire begins; Spartacus leads a slave uprising that threatens Rome on its own turf; Arminius, Germania's native son raised as a Roman, must choose a side in the fight for freedom.|
|3||"Revenge"||June 20, 2016||0.894|
|Arminius unites the tribes and engineers an ambush attack to drive Rome out of Germania; Boudica unleashes bloody vengeance on the Empire; Rome's betrayal of Fritigern and the Goths ends in an apocalyptic clash.|
|4||"Ruin"||June 27, 2016||0.804|
|Alaric's Visigoths sack Rome; Attila the Hun seizes power through chaos and destruction while the barbarians move in for the kill. The Vandal king, Geiseric, masterminds the end of Rome; the Empire falls.|
History (Canada) debuted the miniseries the same month as the United States and has it available for viewing On Demand for a full year. Barbarians Rising premiered in the United Kingdom on August 31, 2016. It is scheduled to premiere in Italy and Australia on July 4, and in much of Europe on July 17. The series will premiere in Germany in September 2016, and in Japan, Spain and Portugal in fall 2016.
Despite the high number of viewers, the show received mixed reviews. Brian P. Kelly of The Wall Street Journal gave Barbarians Rising a mixed review, commending History Channel "for offering a show that deals with, well, history" while also noting "the series is slowed to the point of exhaustion by its lengthy re-enactments". Verne Gay of Newsday was also mixed in his appraisal of the miniseries giving it a grade of 'C' and remarking that "The sword-and-sandal mini-epics here are lavishly produced, and (for the most part) dramatically comatose."
- Brian P. Kelly (June 6, 2016). "'Barbarians Rising' Review: The Other Side of History". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Denise Petski (December 2, 2015). "History Orders 'Barbarians Rising' Docudrama About Rise & Fall of Roman Empire". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Erik Pedersen (May 10, 2016). "'Barbarians Rising': Cast & Premiere Dates For History's Roman Empire Saga". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Verne Gay (June 3, 2016). "'Barbarians Rising' review: Roman Empire's fall sluggishly retold". Newsday. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Mitch Metcalf (June 7, 2016). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Monday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.6.2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- Mitch Metcalf (June 14, 2016). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Monday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.13.2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved 2016-06-21.
- Mitch Metcalf (June 21, 2016). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Monday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.20.2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved 2016-06-24.
- Mitch Metcalf (June 28, 2016). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Monday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 6.27.2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- Laura Prudom (May 16, 2016). "History Schedules 'Six,' El Chapo Documentary, Ozzy Osbourne Series for Summer". Variety. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
On Monday, June 6 at 9 pm, docu-drama "Barbarians Rising" tells the story of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire from the perspective of the barbarian leaders who brought it down, including Hannibal, Spartacus, Arminius, Boudica and Attila.