Portland Historic Landmark
The Barber Block in 2006
|Location||532–538 SE Grand Avenue
|Architect||Thomas J. Jones|
|Architectural style||Mixed late Victorian styles, including Italianate, Queen Anne, Richardsonian Romanesque, others|
|Part of||East Portland Grand Avenue Historic District (#91000126)|
|NRHP Reference #||77001109|
|Added to NRHP||February 15, 1977|
The Barber Block is a building complex located at the corner of Southeast Grand and Washington Streets in Portland, Oregon, listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It was built in 1890 and listed on the NRHP in 1977. It is also located within the East Portland Grand Avenue Historic District.
Among the building's occupants in the 1920s was a nickelodeon theater. After the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 caused significant damage to the building's roof, its owners considering demolishing it, but decided against doing so. The ground floor spaces have been used by various types of businesses over the decades, including a furniture store, a restaurant and a bank, while the second and third floors have always been residential, mostly as apartments but for a time as a single-room occupancy residential hotel.
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks -- Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved September 21, 2013.
- Ballestrem, Val (2011). "Barber Block (Portland)". The Oregon Encyclopedia. Portland State University. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- McMath, George A. (December 5, 1976), National Register of Historic Places Inventory — Nomination Form: Barber Block (PDF), retrieved February 25, 2016.
- Basalyga, Stephanie (May 13, 2002). "Foundation honors historic building preservation". Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- Carter, Dan (November 21, 2007). "Commercial Contractors: Barber Block". Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
Media related to Barber Block at Wikimedia Commons
- Barber Block brief history in The Oregonian's "Portland Then & Now" series
- National Register of Historic Places photographic file