Barbie: The Princess & the Popstar
|Barbie: The Princess and The Popstar|
|Directed by||Zeke Norton|
|Produced by||Shelley Dvi-Vardhana
|Written by||Steve Granat
|Based on||The Prince and the Pauper
by Mark Twain and the Barbie Movie, Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper
|Music by||Paul J. Smith|
|Edited by||Treg Brown|
|Distributed by||Universal Studios Home Entertainment|
|73 minutes |
Barbie: The Princess & the Popstar is a 2012 American animated musical film produced by Rainmaker Animation and released by Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The film is said to have a sequel called Barbie : The Princess & the Popstar: The Singuel. It is the 23rd in the Barbie film series and the 2nd Barbie film to be based on The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain (the first was Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper), however it was the 2nd to use the name "Princess and The Popstar" the first movie is an episode from VeggieTales titled Princess and The Popstar. The film features the voices of Kelly Sheridan, Jennifer Waris, Ashleigh Ball, Tiffany Giardina, Ellie King, and Peter Kelamis.
The plot focuses on two teenage girls, Tori the princess and Keira the popstar. These two seem to be alike and this movie is similar to the movie " Barbie princess and the pauper". Tori and Keira wish to exchange their lives and live their dreams. But this actually made their life a mess. Tori has a magical hairbrush which changes the hairstyle. Keira has a magical microphone which changes the dress. They both use their magical items to change them and switch their looks. This made them look identical. But at last they realised that their own lives were much better and they thought they made their life a confusion. But they both became best friends and they both held a finale medley together. That is why they say, "there's a star that's right inside you, so come on and let it out".
In the summer, Meribella, a magical kingdom, is going to have its five hundredth anniversary. Princess Tori and her younger sisters Meredith and Trevi are very busy, having to attend ceremonies and balls, and always be poised and proper. The princesses think it is hard work. Whenever they have the chance, they sneak away and play together. Before Meribella's five hundredth anniversary, the princesses have to greet royal visitors, who come to Meribella for the occasion. Tori wishes she could have an exciting, music-filled life like her favorite popstar, Keira. She wishes she could watch Keira performing near her palace.
Keira, a world-famous singer-songwriter, is on the guest list and is going to perform at the festival for the Meribella's five hundredth anniversary. Keira enjoys touring, greeting fans and having extravagant, spectacular concerts. However, it leaves her with no time to do what she was passionate about: writing songs.
Keira thinks being a princess would be awesome. The next day, members of the royal court are invited to the palace in Meribella to meet the royal family. Duchess Amelia, Tori's strict aunt, forbids Tori to watch Keira's concert when she was supposed to be greeting guests. When Keira arrives to the palace for the festival, she meets Tori. They instantly become friends, and their pet dogs Vanessa and Riff, too. Tori gives Keira a tour of the palace and so they began joking about trading places. Keira tells Tori how she longs to be a princess and wear a tiara like her. Tori gives Keira her tiara to try it on. Keira takes out her magic microphone and magically turns her outfit into a gown and Tori then shows her magical brush to Keira. Tori uses her magic hairbrush, so she uses it to transform her hair into a different hairstyle. They then realize that they look just alike.
Tori convinces Keira to stay disguised as each other while she carries on giving Keira a tour of her palace. They enter a secret garden, where fairies tend to the plants. There is a diamond gardenia plant, which is used to pay for school and other things. Tori tells Keira that the Diamond Gardenia roots spread through the entire kingdom. Without it, Meribella's plants would die. The Diamond Gardenia makes the kingdom magical. Tori finds two tiny diamonds at the base of the Diamond Gardenia. The fairies put the diamonds on their necklaces, making them their friendship necklaces. Outside, Keira's manager, Crider, is tired of not being a star and comes to the palace to find valuables while getting a tour from Tori's aunt. Tori's aunt then notices that Tori has bought Keira to see the Diamond Gardenia and scolds her about bringing strangers into the secret area. Keira's manager, who has been secretly eavesdropping, plans to steal the diamond plant.
Tori and Keira head back to Tori's room after Keira almost got into trouble. Tori and Keira realize they want to continue to be each other and agree to remain as each other for one more day. Tori teaches Keira how to be a princess and Keira teaches Tori how to be a popstar. Tori, under the disguise of Keira, gives autographs to people and enjoys it, but later learns about a drought that she should have been aware about. Meanwhile, Keira, under the disguise of Tori, learns to behave like a princess. She also learns a new song while playing with Tori's younger sisters, who discover Keira's true identity but promise to keep it secret. Later, Keira gets locked in Tori's room by Tori's aunt for not writing a commemoration speech, but Vanessa shows Keira a secret exit in the room through which she escapes. Meanwhile, Tori sings a song for the first time on stage.
Later, Crider and Rupert, Crider's assistant, uproot the Diamond Gardenia. The fairies try to stop them, but their efforts are not enough. Tori and Keira use their magic microphone and brush to change back into their true selves. Both stop the two w with the and discover it is always best to be yourself. Crider tries to flee with the Gardenia, but drops the plant and it breaks into pieces. Tori and Keira take the diamonds off their friendship necklaces and plant a new Diamond Gardenia. Tori finally gives her speech. They go back to the concert and end the story as best friends.
- Kelly Sheridan (speaking) and Jennifer Waris (singing) as Princess Victoria Bethany Evangeline Renee (Tori) – The princess of Meribella, Tori dreams of becoming a popstar like Keira. Tori is joyful and cheerful teenager princess with kind heart. She is portrayed by Barbie. Her appearance is blond hair with a heart-shaped necklace.
- Ashleigh Ball (speaking) and Tiffany Giardina (singing) as Keira – A famous popstar, Keira dreams of being a princess, like Tori. Besides Tori, Keira is more calm and organized with a gentle caring nature. She is compassionate, considerate talented, kind-hearted and beautiful. She really likes Prince Liam of Stuffinsburg, but hasn't yet found the courage to confess to him. She is portrayed by Barbie. Her appearance is brown hair with a star-shaped necklace.
- Ellie King as Duchess Amelia – Tori's strict and dignified aunt.
- Peter Kelamis as Seymour Crider – Keira's greedy and ambitious manager and the main antagonist of the film.
- Jonathan Holmes as Rupert – Crider's dumb and bumbling assistant and the man who wants to be Crider's best buddy.
- Allison Warnyca as Nora – Keira´s organizer.
- Christopher Gaze as King Frederick – Tori's kind and fair father.
- Lauren Lavoie as Princess Meredith – Tori's younger sister. She is very smart and seems to be little bit serious. She is portrayed by Barbie's younger sister Stacie.
- Ashlyn Drummond as Princess Trevi – Tori's youngest sister. She is portrayed by Barbie's youngest sister Chelsea.
- Adrian Petriw as Prince Liam – The prince who falls in love with Keira when she is disguised as Tori. It is said that probably Keira told Liam that she and Tori exchanged places. Liam secretly loves spending time with Keira. Liam is kind, handsome, modest and lots more. He is portrayed by Ken.
- Leala Selina as Vanessa Victoria Fluffypie – Tori's King Charles Cavalier Spaniel.
- Adrian Petriw as Riff – Keira's pug dog.
- 1. "Here I am (Keira version) (performed by Tiffany Giardina)
- 2. "I Wish I Had Her Life" (performed by Giardina and Waris)
- 3. "To Be A Princess/To Be A Popstar" (performed by Giardina and Waris)
- 4. "Perfect Day" (performed by Giardina and Waris)
- 5. "Look How High We Can Fly" (performed by Giardina)
- 6. "Here I Am (Tori Version)" (performed by Waris)
- 7. "Princess and Popstar Finale Medley" (performed by Giardina and Waris)
- 8. "Princesses Just Want To Have Fun" (performed by Waris)
- "Barbie: The Princess & the Popstar Movie Details". Common Sense media. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 18, 2013. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "VideoETA: Barbie: The Princess & The Popstar". VideoETA.[permanent dead link]
- "Barbie: The Princess and the Popstar". Barbie. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Mattel: 2012 is THE year for Barbie and Batman, Toy News Online, retrieved 26 July 2012