Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus
|Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus|
Theatrical Release Poster
|Directed by||Greg Richardson|
|Produced by||Luke Carroll|
Jesyca C. Durchin
|Written by||Elana Lesser|
|Music by||Arnie Roth|
|Edited by||Logan McPherson|
|Distributed by||Lionsgate Home Entertainment (original)|
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (re-release)
Right Entertainment (UK)
Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus (alternate title: Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus 3D) is a 2005 direct-to-DVD computer-animated princess film directed by Greg Richardson. It is the 6th entry in the Barbie film series, and the second to feature an original story not based on previous material. The film features the voice of Kelly Sheridan as the Barbie protagonist.
Brie Larson recorded a song titled "Hope Has Wings" for this film, and the DVD includes the music video as a bonus feature.
A line of toys were produced to go with the film, including dolls of Princess Annika, Aiden (called "Prince Aiden" on the box), Rayla the Cloud Queen, and Princess Brietta. Later a Barbie Mini Kingdom doll of Annika was produced with the Mini Kingdom birthday line.
In a magical kingdom, the Queen wants to surprise her daughter, Princess Annika, with a birthday gift. When she opens the door to Annika's room, she discovers that Annika is missing, having gone to an ice rink without asking for permission. Out skating, Annika meets a small polar bear whom she names Shiver. When Annika returns to the palace, her parents are so worried and overprotective they forbid her from skating ever again.
That night, Annika sneaks out of the palace to join a festival. A powerful wizard named Wenlock appears and asks the princess to marry him. When Annika refuses, Wenlock furiously tells the king and queen the fate of their "other daughter," which surprises Annika. Wenlock magically turns everyone into stone, but Annika is saved by Brietta, a flying horse. Wenlock tells her that she has three days to marry him, otherwise the spell will be permanent.
Brietta takes Annika to a castle in the clouds called the Cloud Kingdom. There Annika discovers that "the other daughter" of the king and queen is Brietta, who was transformed into a Pegasus by Wenlock when she refused to marry him (explaining why Annika's parents are so overprotective). Annika decides to build the "Wand of Light" to break Wenlock's spell. In order to accomplish this, they must have a measure of courage, a ring of love and a gem of ice lit by hope's eternal flame. The Cloud Queen gives Brietta a crystal bell to ring if she is in need of help.
The group travels to the Forbidden Forest, where they meet a young man named Aidan who helps them after they get caught in a net. When Shiver and Annika fall into a giant's stew pot, Annika tricks him into chaining himself to a post, and uses her hair ribbon to climb out. The ribbon is the same length as her, and as a measure of courage, it turns into a staff for the Wand of Light.
After trading Annika's skates for a fake map from the old man Ferris, whom Aidan dislikes because they once played a sour card game together, the group find themselves in a large cavern filled with gems, where a sign tells them to take only what they need but never from greed. Annika gets one gem but Aidan gets another; at first Annika thinks that Aidan is being greedy but nothing happens. Shiver causes a cave-in thanks to her amazement of the gems' sparkles, which they narrowly manage to escape thanks to her. As Aidan starts to forge the Wand, he reveals that he ran away from his parents and lost all of his money gambling. He got an extra gem to bring to his parents so that he could get their forgiveness and their protection.
Brietta offers her tiara to make the ring of love. With all three objects, the "Wand of Light" is assembled. To prove that the Wand works, Annika asks for Brietta to be a human from the bottom of her heart. Then, Brietta is transformed back into a human.
Annika and Brietta return to the Cloud Kingdom on two pegasuses summoned by the Cloud Queen's bell, but Wenlock pursues them, hurting Brietta. Angrily Annika asks the wand to destroy Wenlock, but it does not work. Annika gives up and finally agrees to marry Wenlock so he will change her parents and the people back to normal. Wenlock refuses her because she is hateful, just like his other wives. He takes the wand from Annika's hand and causes a snowslide, trapping her.
Immediately Aidan comes and helps to dig Annika out. Aidan and Brietta brings an unconscious Annika to the Cloud Kingdom. After Annika wakes up, the trio go to Wenlock's lair. Blush decides not to give the clouds a dusk color to give Annika more time after some persuasion by Rose. While Brietta guards the pegasus, Annika, Aidan, and Shiver slide to the green castle. Aidan fights against the griffin as Annika searches for the wand. When she finds the wand, suddenly the gem falls. Fortunately, Aidan gives Annika his own.
Realizing how to work the wand, Annika asks it to defeat Wenlock for the love of her family and friends. Wenlock turns to be an ordinary person and the spell on Annika's parents is broken. Annika shows them Brietta and the entire family celebrates together, while Aidan's father forgives him. The end scene shows Aidan and Annika skating in the cloud palace. Both Aidan and Annika are wearing crowns, implying that they've gotten married. Brietta remarks that they look happy, and gifts the Cloud Queen with the wand, who replies that it will be the first star at night.
- Barbie as Princess Annika - A strong-headed girl of sixteen years old who loves ice skating. She often wears light purple gowns. Annika does not understand why her parents are so overprotective of her. Finally she knows she is wrong and she wants to have the second chance. She likes to lead Brietta, Aidan, and Shiver in the journey. She thinks she is brave by cheating the giant Ollie.
- Princess Brietta - Annika's older sister, became a pegasus when she celebrated her birthday. She was transformed by Wenlock since she refused to marry him. Brietta is calmer than Annika. Her gown is always pink. When Brietta is still a pegasus, she can see her human appearance when she sees herself in the mirror.
- Wenlock - Actually just an ordinary person who became a wizard. He has married three times. When he looks for the prettiest girl on earth, he finds Annika is the right person for him to be wed. He rides a griffin.
- Aiden - A blacksmith. He had received money from his father, but he gambled. He lost and hides in the deepest part of a strange forest before he meets Annika. Annika's saying of second chance enlightens his spirit. He determines to help Annika create the Wand of Light from then on. Later, he marries Annika.
- Shiver - A polar bear who makes an acquaintance with Annika when Annika ice skates secretly. This polar bear is named Shiver because she shivers. She also has a liking for anything sparkly. She only says "Sparkle Sparkle" the entire movie and almost ruins everything.
- Rayla, the Cloud Queen - Ruler of the Cloud Kingdom, where Brietta hid herself after Wenlock turned her into a pegasus.
- Rose, Blush, and Lilac - Three little girls who make colors in the clouds every dawn and dusk. Rose makes the clouds pink, Blush makes the clouds yellow and Lilac makes the clouds purple. They are Brietta's friends.
- Ollie - A barefoot, green giant that almost makes a stew out of Annika and Shiver.
- Kelly Sheridan - Princess Annika/Troll/Wife #3
- Lalainia Lindbjerg - Princess Brietta/Troll/Wife #2
- Mark Hildreth - Aidan
- Colin Murdock - Wenlock
- Kathleen Barr - Shiver / Queen / Rayla, The Cloud Queen/Troll/Wife #1
- Russell Roberts - King
- Chantal Strand - Rose
- Jessica Amlee - Blush
- Andrea Libman - Lilac
- John DeSantis - Ollie the Giant
- Brian Drummond - Ferris
- Stevie Vallance - Troll