Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses
|Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses|
|Directed by||Greg Richardson|
|Produced by||Shea Wageman|
|Based on||The Twelve Dancing Princesses by the Brothers Grimm|
|Distributed by||Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Right Entertainment (UK)
|February 21, 2006|
Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses is a direct-to-video computer animated Barbie film directed by Greg Richardson and loosely based on the fairytale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". It is part of the Barbie film series and features the voice of Kelly Sheridan as Barbie. This film was released on February 21, 2006.
Music for the film was composed by Arnie Roth. "Shine", the end title song written by Roth, Amy Powers and Rob Hudnut, was nominated for a 2007 Emmy Award. The film is the final Rainmaker Entertainment film made in the Mainframe Entertainment era and the last Barbie direct-to-video release to be distributed by Right Entertainment in the UK.
Barbie stars as Genevieve, one of twelve princesses who live in a castle with their widowed father, King Randolph. The princesses have adventurous and free-spirited natures that are viewed as "unladylike" and "non-proper" by other members of the royal society. This leads King Randolph to summon his cousin, Duchess Rowena, to the castle to help raise the princesses. Unbeknownst to King Randolph, Rowena plans to poison him and get rid of his daughters so that she can become queen. Attempting to break the princesses' spirits, Rowena makes their lives miserable by stripping the castle of everything they love, banishing singing and dancing.
The princesses find comfort in their late mother's favorite story, which tells of a magical kingdom where golden flowers grant wishes and princesses can dance at an enchanted pavilion for three nights. The princesses realize that the story contains clues on how to enter the magical kingdom from their own bedroom, by dancing on specific stones on the floor from oldest to youngest. Now inside the magical kingdom, the princesses discover that the water there possesses healing properties.
The next day, the princesses appear tired and the duchess finds their new dancing shoes worn through, arousing her suspicion. The royal cobbler and Genevieve's love interest, Derek, comes to fix their shoes and sees that they are covered in gold dust. When King Randolph mysteriously falls ill, Genevieve is prompted to ask Derek to investigate Rowena's true intentions. That night, the princesses return to the magical kingdom to dance. During this time, Derek discovers that Rowena is stealing heirlooms from the castle and dealing with an apothecary, and he rushes back to the castle.
The next morning, the sisters are again exhausted. Rowena interrogates and threatens them, but when they tell her the truth she refuses to believe them, forcing the princesses into servitude. Heartbroken, they return to the magical kingdom, and Rowena finds the princesses gone the next morning. That evening, Derek makes it back to the castle but discovers that the princesses are missing. He sneaks into their bedroom and, remembering the dance Genevieve had shown him earlier, enters the magical kingdom to report his findings to the princesses. Rowena's monkey minion, Brutus, watches as Derek enters the magical kingdom and reports what he has seen back to Rowena. Rowena uses this knowledge to enter the magical kingdom, where she steals some of the gold flowers that grant wishes. Rowena then returns to the castle and destroys the gateway to the magical kingdom with the help of her footman.
The princesses and Derek are trapped in the magical kingdom. However, they eventually discover that, when Genevieve and Derek dance together, everyone floats up into the sky and they are able to return home through a different gateway that leads to their mother's dance pavilion.
Upon returning, they learn that Rowena has taken over as queen. The princesses break into the castle to confront her. After a struggle, Rowena uses the gold flowers to wish that Genevieve dance forever. When the flower dust comes towards Genevieve, she uses her fan to blow the dust back towards Rowena, who begins to dance. When Rowena's footman tries to help her, he is pulled into the dance, too, and the two villains dance their way out of the castle.
Lacey then uses some water brought back from the magical kingdom to heal their dying father. When he heals, King Randolph explains that Rowena had been poisoning him and apologizes to his daughters for not believing them. With the conflict resolved, Genevieve and Derek celebrate their wedding.
Cast and characters
Each of the 12 Princesses is designated with a gemstone and a flower. Each princess' flower appears on their dresses, the book gifted to each of them, and on the stones on the floor of their bedroom. And each of the princesses' names begin with the first 12 letters of the alphabet.
- Genevieve, voiced by Kelly Sheridan, is the 16-year-old seventh sister, and the main protagonist of the film. She tends to run late for all sorts of occasions. She is also an experienced chess player. Next to her family, Genevieve loves dancing more than anything. Derek, the royal cobbler, harbors romantic feelings for her. Her flower is the pink rose and her gemstone is a pink opal. She wears a dark pink and white dress.
- Ashlyn, voiced by Nicole Oliver, is the 21-year-old eldest sister. She is practical, calm and knowledgeable. She loves music, especially playing the flute and oboe. She is straightforward and cares for her sisters, for whom she tries to act as a role model. Her flower is the purple geranium and her gemstone is a garnet. She bears the most resemblance to her mother Queen Isabella, and wears a purple dress.
- Blair, voiced by Jennifer Copping, is the 20-year-old second sister. She loves horseback riding and collects music boxes. Feisty and outspoken, Blair is always the first to voice her opinion, especially her complaints about Rowena's presence in their lives. Her flower is larkspur and her gemstone is a ruby. She wears a red dress.
- Courtney, voiced by Lalainia Lindbjerg, is the 19-year-old third sister and is close to Ashlyn and Blair. She seems to be the shyest of the twelve sisters. Her favorite hobby is reading, which makes her intelligent and open-minded, but often renders her totally oblivious to her surroundings. Her flower is the forget-me-not and her gemstone is a sapphire. She wears a blue dress.
- Delia, voiced by Kathleen Barr, is the adventurous 18-year-old fourth sister, and Edeline's fraternal twin. She loves sports, especially croquet and horseback riding. Her flower is the sunflower and her gemstone is a green peridot. She wears a green dress.
- Edeline, voiced by Chiara Zanni, is the 18-year-old fifth sister, and Delia's fraternal twin. She loves to play sports, her favorites being badminton and croquet. She also tends to be messy and disorganized. Her flower is honeysuckle and her gemstone is orange citrine. She wears an orange dress.
- Fallon, voiced by Adrienne Carter, is the 17-year-old sixth sister. She loves animals, plays the harp and is a romantic who hopes everyone can find their happily ever after. She likes hearts, lace, and writing stories. Her flower is the camellia and her gemstone is a pearl. She wears a magenta dress.
- Hadley, voiced by Ashleigh Ball, is the 12-year-old eighth sister and Isla's fraternal twin. She loves to dance on stilts, an interest she shares with Isla. Her flower is the narcissus and her gemstone is a topaz. She wears a turquoise dress.
- Isla, also voiced by Ashleigh Ball, is the 12-year-old ninth sister and Hadley's fraternal twin. Isla is a skilled acrobat and enjoys dancing on stilts with her twin. Her flower is the lily of the valley and her gemstone is an emerald. She wears a light violet dress.
- Janessa, voiced by Britt McKillip, is 5 years old and is the tenth sister and leader of the young fraternal triplets. She is interested in bugs and loves collecting them. While she may be bossy at times, her intentions are always good. Her flower is the jonquil and her gemstone is aquamarine. She wears a light blue dress.
- Kathleen, voiced by Maddy Capozzi, is 5 years old and is the eleventh sister, the middle triplet and is close with both triplets. She loves art and enjoys painting, but tends to be messy like her big sister, Edeline. Kathleen is down-to-earth and helps keep balance among the triplets. Her flower is the daisy and her gemstone is a pink diamond. She wears a light pink and yellow dress.
- Lacey, voiced by Chantal Strand, is 5 years old and the youngest sister. She is very close to her big sister, Genevieve. Being the youngest, she is timid, somewhat clumsy and frequently needs help for the simplest things. Even though she loves her sisters and her father, Lacey often wonders about where she belongs in her large family. Her flower is the white lily and her gemstone is an amethyst. She wears a light purple dress. She gets a book called The Dancing Princess
- Derek, voiced by Shawn MacDonald, is the handsome royal cobbler. He is friends with Genevieve and her sisters, secretly in love with Genevieve, and becomes the princesses' main ally in stopping Rowena. At the end of the film, he and Genevieve are happily wedded.
- Felix, voiced by Gabe Khouth, is Derek's talking parrot. He wants Derek and Genevieve to be together, often blabbing hints about how Derek feels to Genevieve, which causes great embarrassment for his master.
- Duchess Rowena, voiced by Catherine O'Hara, is King Randolph's cousin and the antagonist of the film. She is brought to the castle to help the king raise his twelve daughters. She seeks to steal the throne by poisoning Randolph and getting rid of the twelve princesses. She is doomed to dance forever when a spell she tried to use on Genevieve backfires.
- King Randolph, voiced by Christopher Gaze, is the father of the twelve dancing princesses. He loves his daughters more than anything, but is determined to turn them into "proper princesses" with Rowena. Little does he know, Rowena is slowly poisoning him in an attempt to steal his throne and that it is up to his "unruly" daughters to save him.
- Desmond, voiced by Garry Chalk, is Rowena's large and ruthless footman. He seems to have a crush on Rowena, doing anything she says to please her. He is doomed to dance with her forever when he tries to free the cursed duchess.
- Twyla, also voiced by Nicole Oliver, is Genevieve's pet kitten. She tries to act tough in front of her enemies and is constantly fighting with Rowena's monkey, Brutus. She is friends with Felix and believes that she is related to the tigers of India.
- Brutus, voiced by Peter Kelamis, is Rowena's pet monkey, who is just as cruel and arrogant as his mistress. He loves making Twyla angry and often spies on the princesses to find ways to get them in trouble with Rowena.
- Queen Isabella is the late mother of the twelve princesses. She is seen in the movie through a portrait that hangs near the entrance of the castle. Even in death, she helps her daughters discover the magical kingdom and the importance of family. Her goblet is stolen by Rowena to purchase poison from the apothecary.
- Mr. Fabian, voiced by Mark Oliver, is the apothecary who sells poison to Rowena in exchange for stolen goods. He is eventually tracked down by Derek, who trades his horse for Queen Isabella's goblet.
The songs featured in this film are:
- 12 Dancing Princesses theme song
- The Birthday Song
Shine is in the Music Video for this movie.
In the October 14, 2006 issue of Billboard, Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses debuted at number one on the Top DVD Sales chart.
- "Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses". Barbie. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses at the Internet Movie Database
- Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses at AllMovie
- Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses at Rotten Tomatoes