Barbie of Swan Lake
|Barbie of Swan Lake|
DVD and VHS Cover
|Directed by||Owen Hurley|
|Produced by||Kim Dent Wilder
|Written by||Elana Lesser
|Based on||Swan Lake by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky|
|Music by||Arnie Roth|
|Edited by||Greg Richardson|
|Distributed by||Artisan Entertainment (original)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment (re-release)
Right Entertainment (UK)
Barbie of Swan Lake is a 2003 direct-to-DVD Barbie movie directed by Owen Hurley. It is the third computer animated movie of Barbie film series, and the second film based on Tchaikovsky's ballet. Barbie and Odette are voiced by Kelly Sheridan. The story is an adaptation from "Swan Lake".
The story is being told by Barbie to her sister, Kelly, who is feeling uneasy about being at camp overnight for the first time. She remembers the story while looking at constellations, being started on after finding Cygnus.
The story begins with Odette dancing in her father's bakery. Odette feels happy because she knows how to dance a ballet dance which is to be very hard to handle or to be practiced. Her sister, Marie, is also shown as a fast horse rider. A unicorn named Lila arrives in the village and manages to escape hunters and runs into an Enchanted Forest with the curious Odette in pursuit. Lila becomes trapped, so Odette tries looking for something good enough to free the unicorn. She spots a magical crystal within the hollow of a nearby tree and takes it out. Little does she know that the crystal was meant for whoever removed it to defeat the evil sorcerer Rothbart.
The Fairy Queen, who was watching the scene, comes to Odette and tells her that she is the chosen one for purging the evil plaguing the forest, which is the Fairy Queen's cousin, the evil sorcerer Rothbart. Odette, not wanting to get mixed up in the situation, refuses. The Fairy Queen complies and sends Lila to escort her out of the forest. Suddenly, Rothbart appears in the woods with his daughter, Odile, and turns Odette into a swan. The Fairy Queen is able to partially reverse the effects of the spell, in which, Odette retains her human form by night, but during the day, she is forced to stay as a swan. The Fairy Queen also gives Odette a crown with the crystal in it that will protect her from Rothbart.
Odette also meets the other elves of the forest: Carlita, now a skunk, Ivan, a porcupine as well as a few others. Odette's father and sister, start searching for her, after noticing that Odette is missing. Prince Daniel, the prince living in the castle in Odette's village, is introduced. A spirited man, he prefers exploring rather than marriage, much to the dismay of his mother.
Odette is determined to find a solution to the problem and goes to the magical library to find it. However, they are unable to locate the book of Forestlore and Odette is disheartened. Rothbart lures Prince Daniel into the forest, determined to get him to hunt Odette. However, Daniel is captivated by the swan's beauty and decides to let it live. The two soon fall in love when he sees her true form. They dance gracefully and afterwards Odette transform into a swan.
Daniel asks Odette to a ball, but at first she denies until he finally convinces her to come. Soon, Erasmus—the troll in charge of the library—arrives, having found the book. He reveals to them that the solution is true love, which made everyone realize that Daniel can save them all. However, if Daniel falls for another girl, the magic crystal will lose its power. The Fairy Queen teaches Odette how to waltz at the ball but are interrupted when Erasmus is kidnapped. They manage to save him but Rothbart learns of what will be his downfall. So, under a spell, he makes Odile look like Odette in the eyes of Daniel.
Odette, in swan form, races to the castle to warn Daniel about the trick, but is unable to get inside. At the ball, Prince Daniel pledges his love to Odile, thinking her to be Odette, which caused Odette to fall to the ground, the crystal having lost its power and she is mortally weakened.
Rothbart reveals the truth and he and Odile escape. Daniel runs after them and the Fairy Queen attempts to revive Odette, who is barely alive. However, Rothbart turns the Fairy Queen into a mouse and attempts to kill Odette and Daniel. The two fall onto each other, their hands intertwined.
At that moment, the crystal's power explodes outwards, stopping Rothbart, as they two were truly in love. The two awaken and all of Rothbart's evil is undone. At last, Odette and Prince Daniel confess their love for each other. Everyone from the village and the Enchanted forest celebrate. It is revealed that Odette and Daniel are to be married and are finally happy. Rothbart gets his just deserts as he is now a Cuckoo Clock while Odile is granted the more merciful but humiliating fate of becoming a maid.
At the end, it is shown the story has given Kelly a new resolve and she promises she will participate in the race the following day. She yawns and heads off to bed, with Barbie smiling behind her.
Cast and characters
- Kelly Sheridan as Barbie / Odette - A shy, helpful country girl who loves to dance. She is turned into a swan by Rothbart because she is thought to be the one who can defeat him. Then, she falls in love with Prince Daniel and later learns to be a brave girl by saving the Enchanted Forest. Barbie is the storyteller of Swan Lake.
- Mark Hildreth as Prince Daniel - A prince who loves adventures. He is an expert at archery. He loves Odette from the first time he meets her, but once he is fooled by Rothbart. Odile is turned to be like Odette by Rothbart, and Daniel dances with her.
- Kelsey Grammer as Rothbart - The main antagonist and the evil sorcerer and the evil cousin of the Fairy Queen who wants to rule the Enchanted Forest. He can turn into a bird, and he also turns Odette into a swan. He has a spoiled daughter, named Odile. In the end, Rothbart becomes a cuckoo clock.
- Venus Terzo as Lila - A friendly purple unicorn who is also Odette's friend. She likes to go to people's town and is almost captured by town people. She tells Odette that she (Odette) is braver than she thinks.
- Kathleen Barr as Fairy Queen / Marie - The ruler of the Enchanted Forest. Marie is Odette's elder sister who likes to ride horses.
- Nicole Oliver as Carlita - A little fairy who is turned into a skunk by Rothbart. She is Ivan's best friend.
- Ian James Corlett as Ivan - A male little fairy who is turned into a porcupine. He is Carlita's best friend.
- Maggie Wheeler as Odile - The secondary antagonist, an evil witch and Rothbart's spoiled daughter who fools Prince Daniel at the ball by becoming like Odette. In the end, she becomes the castle's maid.
- Michael Dobson as Erasmus - A troll who has a library. The Book of Forest Lore which tells how to break Rothbart's spell is in his library.
- Chantal Strand as Kelly - Barbie's sister who is afraid of tomorrow's race at her camp.
- Gina Stockdale as Queen Mother - Daniel's mother who wants to see Daniel married and wants to have grandchildren.
- Brian Drummond as Reggie - Daniel's servant
- Garry Chalk as the Baker - Odette's father
The majority of the music used in the movie is taken from Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake. In addition the movie has a theme song 'Wings' written by Jason Blume and performed by Leslie Mills, which is featured within this film. The song 'Wings' is used for ending credits and is also appears in the music video of 'Barbie of Swan Lake'.
Music and Songs in 'Barbie of Swan Lake':
- Main title
- Spanish Dance
- Hungarian Dance
The movie was released on DVD and video on September 30, 2003.
There has been multipliable Odette/Barbie dolls released, some of the Odette/Barbie dolls to be released were:
- Odette Original Doll
- Odette Light Up WIngs
- Odette Enchanted Forest
- Odette Fantasy Tales
- Odette with Tea set
- Odette Swan Lake New Version
- Enchanted Forest Playset
- Teresa Fairy Queen doll
- Teresa Fairy Queen doll Collectible
- Lila the Unicorn
- Carriage and Lila the Unicorn
- Swan Lake Fashion Gift Set
- Prince Daniel doll
- Barbie Swan Lake Christmas Ornaments
- Odette Hairstyling Head
- Ivan the Porcupine doll
- Marisa the Friendly Fawn doll
- Kelly as Baby swan doll
- Kerstie the Merry Mouse doll
- "Barbie of Swan Lake". Barbie. Retrieved 9 December 2013.