The mille fleur and black mottled colours
|Country of origin||Belgium|
|Standard||Bantam Club Français|
Poultry Club of Great Britain
|ABA||single combed, muff and beard and feather legged|
The Barbu d'Uccle or Belgian d'Uccle, Dutch: Ukkelse Baardkriel, is a Belgian breed of bearded bantam chicken. It was first bred in the town of Uccle on the outskirts of Brussels, in central Belgium.
The Barbu d'Uccle was created by Michael Van Gelder of Uccle, Belgium, in the early years of the twentieth century. It is thought, but not known for certain, that he cross-bred the existing Sabelpoot and Barbu d'Anvers bantam breeds. The Barbu d'Uccle was first shown in 1905.
The Barbu d'Uccle has a low posture, full beard and a muff, a short but well developed neck, body broad and deep. Back very broad, almost hidden by enormous neck hackle. Breast extremely broad, the upper part very developed and carried forward, the lower part resembling a breastplate. Tail well held at a perky angle, almost perpendicular to the body. Legs strong, short and well apart. It has a single comb, unlike the Barbu d'Anvers, which has a rose comb.
In the Netherlands the recommended weight is 700–800 g for cock birds, and about 550 g for hens, while the French standard recommends average weights of 750 g and 650 g respectively. The Poultry Club of Great Britain suggests a weight in the range 790–910 g for males and 680–790 g for females.:68 The American standard specifies an ideal weight of 26 oz (740 g) for cocks, 22 oz (620 g) for hens and cockerels, and 20 oz (570 g) for pullets.
In Europe, colour varieties of the Barbu d'Uccle include blue, blue quail, cuckoo, mille fleur, porcelain, lavender, lavender quail, black, mottled, silver quail, quail, and white. The American Poultry Association lists seven varieties: black (1996), golden neck (1996), mille fleur (1914), mottled (1996), porcelain (1965), self blue (1996), and white (1981).:7–8
- [Bantam Club Français] (1994). Elevage sélection et standard des poules naines (in French). [S.l.] : Bantam Club Français.
- APA Recognized Breeds and Varieties: As of January 1, 2012. American Poultry Association. Archived 4 November 2017.
- Liste des races et variétés homologuée dans les pays EE (28.04.2013). Entente Européenne d’Aviculture et de Cuniculture. Archived 16 June 2013.
- Victoria Roberts (2008). British poultry standards: complete specifications and judging points of all standardized breeds and varieties of poultry as compiled by the specialist breed clubs and recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain. Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 9781405156424.
- Brief History: Belgian d'Uccle and Booted Bantam. Belgian d'Uccle & Booted Bantam Club (United States). Archived 25 June 2012.
- Australian Poultry Standard, 2nd Edition, published 2012, Victorian Poultry Fanciers Association Ltd trading as Poultry Stud Breeders and Exhibitors Victoria.
- Barbu d'Uccle. Zeldzame oorspronkelijke Belgische krielhoenderrassen. Archived 27 May 2007.
- Pam Percy (2006). The Field Guide to Chickens. St. Paul, Minnesota: Voyageur Press. ISBN 9781610600781.
|This poultry article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|