Location within Queensland
|• Density||0.063803/km2 (0.165249/sq mi)|
|Area||53,383 km2 (20,611.3 sq mi)|
|Region||Central West Queensland|
The Barcaldine Region is a local government area in Central West Queensland, Australia. Established in 2008, it was preceded by three previous local government areas which had existed for over a century.
It has an estimated operating budget of A$21.6 million.
Prior to the 2008 amalgamation, the Barcaldine Region existed as three distinct local government areas:
When the Divisional Boards Act 1879 was proclaimed on 11 November 1879, what is now the Barcaldine Region was part of the Barcaldine, Aramac, Kargoolnah and Bauhinia divisions. With the passage of the Local Authorities Act 1902, all four became Shires on 31 March 1903. A number of boundary changes took place thereafter, but by the establishment of the Shire of Jericho on 1 January 1916, the boundaries were to remain unchanged for 92 years.
In July 2007, the Local Government Reform Commission released its report and recommended that the three areas amalgamate. All three councils were rated as weak to moderate in terms of financial sustainability, and the three areas were believed to form a collective community of interest with the town of Barcaldine serving as a regional centre with commercial facilities and an airport. All three councils opposed the amalgamation, with Aramac putting an alternate suggestion together with the Shire of Winton. On 15 March 2008, the three Shires formally ceased to exist, and elections were held on the same day to elect councillors and a mayor to the Regional Council.
The council is undivided, with six councillors and a mayor serving the whole region.
Towns and localities
The Barcaldine Region includes the following settlements:
The populations given relate to the component entities prior to 2008. The 2011 census was the first for the new Region.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 March 2011). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10". Archived from the original on 13 October 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- Election summary Archived October 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine (ECQ)
- Queensland Local Government Reform Commission (July 2007). Report of the Local Government Reform Commission (PDF). 2. pp. 22–26. ISBN 1-921057-11-4. Archived (PDF) from the original on 17 March 2011. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "2008 Barcaldine Regional Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. 31 August 2010. Archived from the original on 29 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "2012 Barcaldine Regional Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. 27 May 2012. Archived from the original on 8 May 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "2016 Barcaldine Regional Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. 19 April 2016. Archived from the original on 25 April 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2017.
- "Libraries". Barcaldine Regional Council. Archived from the original on 7 June 2017. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Barcaldine Regional Council". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland.