Banwaan sa Barcelona
Bayan ng Barcelona
|Nickname(s): "Little Switzerland of Asia"|
Map of Sorsogon with Barcelona highlighted
|Region||Bicol Region (Region V)|
|Legislative district||2nd district of Sorsogon|
|Founded||April 16, 1886|
|• Mayor||Manuel L. Fortes Jr.|
|• Total||61.18 km2 (23.62 sq mi)|
|• Density||330/km2 (860/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||56|
Barcelona is a fifth class municipality in Sorsogon Province, Philippines, bounded by Gubat in the north, Bulusan in the south, Casiguran in the west and Pacific Ocean in the east. According to the 2010 Philippine census, it has a population of 20,340 people.
The site of Barcelona was originally part of Gubat and Bulusan. The town's name was known as Danlog, taken from the name of a local river. The change of name to Barcelona was recommended by a Spanish official that saw some similarities with Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain). On April 16, 1886, it became a pueblo civil. Until 1868, it was part of the parish of St. James the Great of Bulusan. After 1868, it took St. Joseph as its patron saint and celebrates their town fiesta on May 19.
For most of the Fourth and Fifth Republics, it was governed by Mayors Rustico Estopace and Salvador Estuye. Barcelona is best known for its abundant supply of coconuts, copra, and root crops such as sweet potato & cassava.
- Poblacion Central
- Poblacion Norte
- Poblacion Sur
- San Antonio
- San Isidro
- San Ramon (Tan-awan)
- San Vicente
- Santa Cruz
- Santa Lourdes
|Population census of Barcelona|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Archived from the original on 25 January 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Province: Sorsogon". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 November 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Page 407 (Cristina D. Jose, Facts about Sorogon [mimeographed]), Philippines: A History of the Bikol Region, Jaime T. Malanyaon, 1991
- "An Act Changing the Name of Barrio Paghaluban, Municipality of Barcelona, Province of Sorsogon, to Peña Francia". LawPH.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region V (Bicol Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region V (Bicol Region)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region V (Bicol Region)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Sorsogon". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.