Barcelona: A Love Untold
|Barcelona: A Love Untold|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Olivia Lamasan|
|Produced by||Marizel Samson Martinez|
|Music by||Cesar Francis Concio|
Marya IgnacioJoshua Arellano
|Distributed by||Star Cinema|
|September 14, 2016|
|Box office||₱321 million|
Barcelona: A Love Untold is a 2016 Philippine romance drama film, directed by Olivia Lamasan, starring Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla. The film was produced and released by Star Cinema and was released on September 14, 2016.
The film was awarded Best Picture at the 65th FAMAS Awards which was held in 2017.
The movie follows the story of Ely (Daniel Padilla), a boy who can't get over his past love. In Barcelona he juggles work with his studies as he aims to get his master's degree. He then meets Mia (Kathryn Bernardo), a girl who sees Spain as a fresh start. After a series of mistakes in the past, she abruptly uprooted herself from her life in the Philippines to move forward and start anew. But the question is how? Together, they will go on a journey to find the answers to their lifelong questions, such as proving their worth, confronting the past, finding their way, and self-forgiveness.
- Kathryn Bernardo as Maria Angela "Mia" dela Torre/ Celine Antipala
- Daniel Padilla as John Elias "Ely" Antonio
- Aiko Melendez as Insiang, Ely's aunt
- Joey Marquez as Caloy Antonio, Ely's father
- Joshua Garcia as Tonying, Ely's cousin
- Ricky Davao as Robert dela Torre, Mia's father
- Maria Isabel Lopez as Belinda Alfaro, Ely's mother
- Ana Capri as Jane Antonio, Ely's stepmother
- Cris Villanueva as Ben Antipala, Celine's father
- Liza Diño-Seguerra as Clara Antipala, Celine's mother
- Ana Abad Santos as Mary Anne dela Torre, Mia's mother
- Melizza Jimenez as Macky dela Torre, Mia's sister
- Kathleen Hermosa as Monina dela Torre
- CX Navarro as Ely's stepbrother
- John Bermundo as Ely's stepbrother
- Dianne Medina as Flor, OFW recruiter in Spain
- Lei Andrei Navarro as young Ely
- Faye Alhambra as young Celine
- Patrick Sugui as Lorenz, Ely's friend
- Ignacio Rivera as The Matador
- Marta Soberano as The Flamenco Bride
- Oscar Alfaro as the Spanish Dad
- Emilio Perez as Ely's Spanish half-brother
- Nichole Morgan as Ely's Spanish half-sister
- Vince San Juan as Vince, Ely's co-worker in Barcelona
- Rianne Salvo Castro as Lorena, Mia's workmate at the Sitges resort
- Matias Cobain as Jose Antonio
- Nuria Casas as Mia's landlady
- Maria Sagana as Maria, the Filipina singer
- RJ Placino as Arjay, Ely's employer
- Antonio Sousa dA Costa as the Waiter, Plaça Real
- Maine Censon as Dorothy
- Min Bernardo as a Barcelona Señora
- Christina Sanchez Elloso as Christina, Ely's classmate
- Nel Closa as Audience
- Jerome Aguzar as Tourist in Sagrada Familia
- Cathy Garcia-Molina as Prenup Director
The film was released on September 14, 2016 initially in 230 cinemas and was expanded to 250 cinemas for its second day and eventually in 320 cinemas for its succeeding days. The film was screened in the United States and Canada starting September 23, 2016 in 69 cinemas. It earned approximately $434,000 in its first 3 days of showing in North America. After 10 days, it had earned $1,100,000. In its first weekend, the movie made $182,952 in the UAE, with a total gross of $229,849 after 3 weeks of showing. In Australia and New Zealand, it made $41,585 on its first weekend of screening, with a total gross of $59,000 after 2 weeks of screening.
Oggs Cruz of Rappler gave a mix review stating that "it's a beautiful film" but notes that the film is "dull and ineffective", and added that the film "feels too mechanical, too designed to work, but he also complimented the overflowing musical scorer." Philbert Ortiz Dy of ClickTheCity.com rated the film 2 stars out of 5 commenting that "the [film] is just oddly constructed all around. There’s just so much to address, and the movie just doesn’t seem willing to do the work to give all these issues the time they need." Nazamel Tabares, a movie blogger for Movies Philippines also rated the film 2 stars out of 5 and went to say that "there’s nothing new in the film and nothing worth keeping after seeing." Je C.C. of Philippine Entertainment Portal reviewed the film as "still falling into the pitfalls of Star Cinema cliches, Barcelona: A Love Untold becomes a film of blemished beauty, but that is fine." On the other hand, Rod Magaru, an entertainment blogger, rated the film 9 out of 10 and called it a "masterpiece of 2016" and commended Carmi Raymundo for the way she wrote the flashbacks and added that "it is one of her best." Edmund Silvestre, New York correspondent for Philstar Global Entertainment wrote, "Barcelona is an enchanting (and hit) tearjerker."
A film review published in Bandera of Philippine Daily Inquirer noted that Barcelona: A Love Untold is not just a kilig movie, and gave score 8 out of 10. Maureen Marie Belmonte of Push conclude, Barcelona: A Love Untold marks a new era for Kathryn and Daniel because it makes moviegoers appreciate them not just as a bankable love team, but also as bona fide dramatic actors that have successfully gotten past their teeny bopper roles.
The film earned ₱23 million on its first day of showing surpassing Imagine You and Me for the highest opening-day gross for a Filipino film for the year. The film earned 130 million pesos on its fifth day of showing. On its twelfth day of release, the film earned a total of 200 million pesos. By 4 October, the film had already grossed at least ₱300 million.
The film gross ₱321 million as of 8 October 
|2017||2017 Box Office Entertainment Awards||Box Office King||Daniel Padilla||Won|||
|Box Office Queen||Kathryn Bernardo||Won|
|Most Popular Screenwriter||Olivia Lamasan and Carmi Raymundo||Won|||
|33rd PMPC Star Awards for Movies||Movie Actor of the Year||Daniel Padilla||Won|||
|Movie Love Team of the Year||KathNiel||Won|||
|Movie of the Year||Barcelona: A Love Untold||Nominated|||
|Movie Director of the Year||Olivia Lamasan||Nominated|
|Movie Screenwriter of the Year||Carmi Raymundo and Olivia Lamasan||Nominated|
|Movie Cinematographer of the Year||Hermann Claravall||Nominated|
|Movie Production Designer of the Year||Shari Marie Montiague||Nominated|
|Movie Editor of the Year||Marya Ignacio||Nominated|
|Movie Musical Scorer of the Year||Cesar Francis Concio||Nominated|
|Movie Sound Engineer of the Year||Aurel Claro Bilbao||Nominated|
|Movie Actress of the Year||Kathryn Bernardo||Nominated|
|57th Asia-Pacific Film Festival||Best Film||Barcelona: A Love Untold||Nominated|
|Alta Media Icon Awards 2017||Best Actress||Kathryn Bernardo||Won|
|Best Actor||Daniel Padilla||Won|
|4th Urduja Film Festival||Movie of the Year (Romance)||Barcelona: A Love Untold||Won|||
|Best Actor||Daniel Padilla||Nominated|||
|65th FAMAS Awards||Best Picture||Barcelona: A Love Untold||Won|||
|Best Director||Olivia M. Lamasan||Won|
|Best Production Design||Shari Marie Montiague||Won|
|Best Actor||Daniel Padilla||Won|||
|Best Actress||Kathryn Bernardo||Nominated|||
|Best Supporting Actor||Joshua Garcia||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Aiko Melendez||Nominated|
|Best Story||Carmi Raymundo & Olivia M Lamasan||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay||Carmi Raymundo & Olivia M Lamasan||Nominated|
|Best Cinematography||Hermann Claravall||Nominated|
|Best Editing||Marya Ignacio||Nominated|
|Best Sound||Aurel Claro Bilbao||Nominated|
|Best Musical Scorer||Cesar Francis Concio||Nominated|
- "KathNiel's Barcelona earns P321 million worldwide, according to Star Cinema". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 24, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla will shoot new movie in Spain". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Mauricio-Arriola, Tessa (September 6, 2016). "Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla step up their game in ‘Barcelona’". The Manila Times. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- Cheska Espina (September 27, 2016). "'Barcelona: A Love Untold' box office gross now at P200M". Star Cinema.
- "MCN: The Weekend Report September 25th, 2016". Leonard Klady. Movie City News. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Arthouse Audit: 'Queen of Katwe' and 'The Dressmaker' Start Slow in Multiple Theaters September 25, 2016". Tom Brueggemann. Indiewire. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "MCN: The Weekend Report October 2nd, 2016". Leonard Klady. Movie City News. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- "United Arab Emirates Box Office September 22–25, 2016". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- "United Arab Emirates Box Office October 6–9, 2016". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "Australia Box Office for Barcelona: A Love Untold (2016)". The Numbers. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "TFC@TheMovies Extends "Barcelona: A Love Untold" due to Popular Demand". Lionheartv. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "Barcelona USA Schedule". TFC USA. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "Barcelona Canada Schedule". TFC Canada. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- "Barcelona EMEA Schedule". TFC EMEA. Retrieved October 8, 2016.
- Cruz, Oggs (September 18, 2016). "'Barcelona: A Love Untold' Review: Dull and ineffective". Rappler.
It's a pretty film, but movie reviewer Oggs Cruz notes that the film 'feels too mechanical, too designed to work.'
- Ortiz Dy, Philbert (September 15, 2016). "'Barcelona: A Love Untold' Tells Too Many Other Stories". ClickTheCity.com.
- Tabares, Nazamel (September 15, 2016). "MOVIE REVIEW: Barcelona: A Love Untold (2016)". Movies Philippines.
- c.c., Je (September 16, 2016). "Review: Kathniel's Barcelona: A Love Untold, a film of blemished beauty". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Magaru, Rod (September 17, 2016). "(Movie Review) Olive Lamasan's Barcelona Asks you to Forgive & LIVE". The Rod Magaru Show.
- Silvestre, Edmund (October 10, 2016). "Barcelona is an enchanting (and hit) tearjerker". Philippine Star.
- "Movie Review: Barcelona: The Love Untold; Hindi lamang isang kilig movie" [Movie Review: Barcelona: The Love Untold; Not just a 'kilig' movie]. Bandera (in Filipino). Philippine Daily Inquirer. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Belmonte, Maureen Marie (September 14, 2016). "Review: ‘Barcelona: A Love Untold’ marks a new era for Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla as actors". Push ABS-CBN. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "'Barcelona: A Love Untold' earns P23M on its first day". Star Cinema. September 14, 2016.
- "Kathniel's "Barcelona: A Love Untold" Rakes ₱130M in 5 Days". LionhearTV.net. September 19, 2016.
- ""Barcelona: A Love Untold" reaches ₱300M, sets box office record". LionhearTV.net. October 2, 2016.
- Calderon, Nora V. (April 23, 2017). "Vice, Coco win big at 48th Box Office Entertainment Awards". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- Jarloc, Glaiza (April 23, 2017). "ABS-CBN stars win big at 48th Box Office Entertainment Awards". SunStar.
- News, ABS-CBN (4 September 2017). "Daniel Padilla named best actor at Star Awards for Movies". ABS-CBN News.
- Abanilla, Clarizel (18 July 2017). "PMPC names nominees for 33rd Star Awards for movies" (Philippines Daily Inquirier).
- News, ABS-CBN (17 July 2017). "LIST: 'Barcelona', 'Everything About Her' top Star Awards nominations". ABS-CBN News.
- "Winners - 4th Urduja Heritage Film Awards 2017". Urduja Film Festival. 16 September 2017.
- "Urduja Heritage Film Awards 2017 - Nominees". urdujafilmfestival.blogspot.co.id. 8 May 2017.
- "'Barcelona: A love untold' wins at FAMAS Awards". Cebu Daily News. 29 December 2017.
- News, ABS-CBN (28 December 2017). "Daniel Padilla, 'Barcelona' lead FAMAS awards winners list". ABS-CBN News.
- Afinidad-Bernardo, Deni Rose M. (29 December 2017). "FULL LIST: FAMAS 2017 winners". philstar.com.