Barcelona Graduate School of Economics
|Type||University Research Institute|
|Location||Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
The Barcelona Graduate School of Economics, commonly referred to as Barcelona GSE, is an independent institution of research and graduate education located in Barcelona, Spain. The School offers a variety of Master's degrees in Economics, Finance, and Data Science. It has been ranked by RePEc among the top Economics Departments in the world.
- 1 History
- 2 Academic Units
- 3 Scientific Council
- 4 Research
- 5 Faculty
- 6 Master Programs
- 7 Summer School and Continuing Education
- 8 Campuses
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The Barcelona GSE was founded in 2006 as a joint venture of four academic institutions (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, IAE-CSIC and CREI). The School is supported by private and public institutions.
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) — Department of Economics and Business
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) — Unit of Economic Analysis (UAB)
- Institute for Economic Analysis (IAE-CSIC)
- Centre for Research in International Economics (CREI)
The Barcelona GSE's Scientific Council works with faculty and administrators to ensure the quality of teaching, research, and admissions procedures. It is chaired by Prof. Hugo Sonnenschein, President Emeritus of the University of Chicago. The Council is made up of leading academics, including 13 Nobel Laureates in Economics.
Members of the Scientific Council
- Daron Acemoglu, MIT
- Aloisio Pessoa de Araújo, IMPA and Fundação Getulio Vargas (Rio de Janeiro)
- Kenneth J. Arrow, Stanford University, Nobel Laureate
- Orley Ashenfelter, Princeton University
- Chong-En Bai, Tsinghua University
- Richard Blundell, University College London
- Mathias Dewatripont Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Raquel Fernández, New York University
- Oliver Hart, Harvard University, Nobel Laureate
- James J. Heckman, University of Chicago, Nobel Laureate
- Bengt Holmström, MIT, Nobel Laureate
- Matthew O. Jackson, Stanford University
- Daniel Kahneman, MIT, Nobel Laureate
- Timothy Kehoe, University of Minnesota
- Anne Krueger, The Johns Hopkins University
- Justin Yifu Lin, Peking University
- Robert Lucas, University of Chicago, Nobel Laureate
- Charles F. Manski, Northwestern University
- José María Maravall, Center for Advanced Study in the Social Sciences (Madrid)
- James A. Mirrlees, University of Cambridge, Nobel Laureate
- Juan Pablo Nicolini, United States Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Edward C. Prescott, University of Arizona, Nobel Laureate
- Hélène Rey, London Business School
- John Roberts, Stanford University
- Alvin Roth, Stanford University, Nobel Laureate
- Ariel Rubinstein, Tel Aviv University and New York University
- Thomas J. Sargent, New York University, Nobel Laureate
- Christopher A. Sims, Yale University, Nobel Laureate
- Robert M. Solow, MIT, Nobel Laureate
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, Columbia University, Nobel Laureate
- Nancy Stokey, University of Chicago
- Fabrizio Zilibotti, University of Zürich
One of the Barcelona GSE's main objectives is to make Barcelona a worldwide primary reference in economic research.
The GSE community constitutes one of the leading clusters of economics research in Europe. Three studies in the Journal of the European Economic Association placed it near the top of its rankings. According to P. Kalaitzidakis, T.P. Mamuneas, and T. Stengos “Ranking of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics” (May 2002), it should be ranked 2nd, when their top 30 journals are taken into account (period 1995-1999). In another study by M. Lubrano, L. Bauwens, A. Kirman and C. Protopopescu, “Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach” (May 2003), the GSE community should be ranked #3 when their top journal list is considered (period 1991-2000). And according to J. Drèze and F. Estevan “Research and Higher Education in Economics: Can We Deliver The Lisbon Objectives?” (May 2007) the Barcelona GSE’s total research output would rank between second and third in Europe.
Severo Ochoa Research Excellence Accreditation
In 2011 the School was distinguished as one of only eight top research institutions of excellence with an international impact in the framework of the Severo Ochoa Research Excellence Program, which promotes frontier research and distinguish those institutions that are defining the global scientific debate. In 2016, it became the only center focused on Economics and the Social Sciences to receive a second Severo Ochoa distinction.
- Behavioral and Experimental Economics
- Business Economics
- Development Economics
- Economic History
- Financial Economics
- Game Theory
- Growth and Development
- Health Economics
- Industrial Organization
- International Economics
- Labor Economics
- Monetary and Fiscal Policy
- Political Economy
- Public Economics
- Social Choice and Mechanism Design
- Statistics, Econometrics and Quantitative Methods
The main research activities organized by the Barcelona GSE include:
- Barcelona GSE Lectures
- Research Recognition Program
- Calvó-Armengol International Prize
- Barcelona GSE "Trobada" (annual academic gathering)
- Barcelona GSE Summer Forum
The Barcelona GSE derives its core strength from the faculty of its four academic institutions, which employ over one hundred renowned scholars, some of whom are also Affiliated Professors at the Barcelona GSE.
Among the Affiliated Professors there are Fellows of the Econometric Society, Fellows of the European Economic Association, Research Fellows of the Centre for Economic Policy and Research (CEPR), and Research Fellows of the CESifo. They publish in the leading journals of Economics and many of the journals of the different subfields of the discipline. They also serve as coeditors and associate editors of these journals.
At present there are some 150 affiliated professors, including:
- Salvador Barberà
- Fernando Broner
- Antonio Ciccone
- Giacomo De Giorgi
- Julian di Giovanni
- Joan-María Esteban
- Xavier Freixas
- Jordi Galí
- Nezih Guner
- Albert Marcet
- Alberto Martín
- Massimo Motta
- José-Luis Peydró
- Jaume Ventura
Some of the scholars and professionals who have taught at the Barcelona GSE as Guest Professors include:
The Barcelona GSE offers master programs leading to three different master degrees:
Master Degree in Economics and Finance
Master Degree in Specialized Economic Analysis
- Competition and Market Regulation
- Economics of Public Policy
- International Trade, Finance, and Development
- Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets
Master Degree in Data Science
Summer School and Continuing Education
The Barcelona GSE's academic offer includes a menu of short summer school programs and professional courses that is updated each year. Recently these have included topics in banking, competition economics, corporate finance, data science, econometrics, labor economics, macroeconomics, and systemic risk.
- "Economic Institution Rankings at IDEAS". Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Barcelona GSE Board of Trustees". Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Research and Higher Education in Economics: Can We Deliver The Lisbon Objectives?". Journal of the European Economic Association. 5: 271–304. doi:10.1162/jeea.2007.5.2-3.271. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "Rankings at IDEAS: Economics Departments". Retrieved 2014-04-22.
- "Rankings at IDEAS: Europe". Retrieved 2014-04-22.
- "Barcelona GSE awarded second Severo Ochoa Research Excellence Distinction for 2016-2019". Retrieved 2016-10-18.