Barclays Bank of Tanzania
|Headquarters||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
Chief Operating Officer
|Products||Loans, Checking, Savings, Investments, Debit Cards|
|Revenue||Aftertax:US $650,000 (TZS:1.075 billion) (Q1:2013)|
|Total assets||US$ 382 million (TZS:634.34 billion) (March 2013)|
Number of employees
Barclays Bank of Tanzania Limited, commonly known as Barclays Bank of Tanzania (BBT), is a commercial bank in Tanzania, the second-largest economy in the East African Community. It is one of the commercial banks licensed by the Bank of Tanzania, the country's central bank and national banking regulator.
BBT is a large financial services provider in Tanzanian, serving large corporations, small-to-medium enterprises, and individuals. As of March 2013[update], its total assets were valued at about US $382 million (TZS:634.34 billion). As of December 2013[update], BBT had 87,000 customers and 42 automated teller machines, and maintained 24 networked branches.
BBT was established in Tanzania in 1925. In 1967, it was nationalized and converted into the National Bank of Commerce, Tanzania's largest bank by assets. With the liberalization of the economy in the 1990s, Barclays Bank Plc re-entered the country, resuming business in 2000.
The stock of BBT is owned by the following corporate entities:
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Barclays Africa Group of South Africa|
|2||Barclays Bank Plc of the United Kingdom|
- Ohio Street Branch - Barclays House, Ohio Street, Dar es Salaam Main Branch
- Slipway Branch - Msasani, Dar es Salaam
- Magomeni Branch - Magomeni, Dar es Salaam
- Kinondoni Branch - Kinondoni Market, Dar es Salaam
- Mwenge Branch - New Bagamoyo Road, Dar es Salaam
- Mikocheni Branch - Old Bagamoyo Road, Mikocheni, Dar es Salaam
- Pugu Branch - Nyerere Road, Dar es Salaam
- Kisutu Branch - Morogoro Road at Libya Street, Kisutu, Dar es Salaam
- Buguruni Branch - Buguruni, Dar es Salaam
- Uhuru Street Branch - Uhuru Street, Kariakoo, Dar es Salaam
- Arusha Sopa Plaza Branch - Sopa Plaza, Serengeti Road, Arusha
- Arusha TFA Branch - TFA Shopping Center, Arusha
- Mkunguni Street Branch - Mkunguni Street, Kariakoo, Dar es Salaam
- Mbeya Branch - Mwanjelwa, Mbeya
- Morogoro Branch - Lumumba Road, Morogoro
- Moshi Branch - Mawenzi Road, Moshi
- Dodoma Branch - Madukani Road, Dodoma
- Iringa Branch - Iringa
- Mwanza City Centre Branch - Pamba Road, Mwanza
- Tanga Branch - King Street, Tanga
- Zanzibar Main Branch - Zanzibar State Trading Corporation Building, Zanzibar
- Zanzibar Darajani Branch - Darajani Kisiwandui, Zanzibar
- List of banks in Tanzania
- List of banks in Africa
- Bank of Tanzania
- Barclays Africa Group
- Barclays Bank Plc
- Guguyu, Otiato (28 April 2016). "Barclays Tanzania picks new chief executive". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- BusinessWeek. "Company Overview of Barclays Bank Tanzania Limited". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- "Directory of Commercial Banks Operating In Tanzania". Bank of Tanzania. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Corporate Digest, . (18 May 2013). "Barclays Bank Tanzania Manages To Cut Expenses". Cororate-Digest.Com. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Ndzamela, Phakamisa (9 June 2014). "Barclays To Keep Two Tanzanian Banks". Business Day (South Africa). Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Barclays Bank Tanzania, . (2012). "Profile & History of Barclays Bank Tanzania". Barclays Bank Tanzania. Retrieved 9 November 2014.
- Olingo, Allan (12 March 2016). "Barclays to merge Tanzania units, says it will not split Africa business". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Barclays Bank Tanzania, . "The Branch Network of Barclays Bank Tanzania". Barclays Bank Tanzania. Retrieved 9 November 2014.