This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|State of Venezuela|
|Motto: Dios y Federación
(English: God and Federation)
|Anthem: Himno del Estado Barinas|
Location within Venezuela
|• Governor||Argenis Chávez (2017–present)|
|• Total||35,200 km2 (13,600 sq mi)|
|3.84% of Venezuela|
|2.87% of Venezuela|
|ISO 3166 code||VE-E|
|Emblematic tree||Cedro (Cedrela odorata)|
Barinas State covers a total surface area of 35,200 km² and, in 2015, had an estimated population of 970,689.
Most of Barinas is located in the Venezuelan Llanos. The area consists mainly of very shallow pasture lands, traversed by numerous rivers. In the northwest there is a mountainous region, which is part of the Venezuelan Andes. The Apure forms the southern border of the state.
Municipalities and municipal seats
- Alberto Arvelo Torrealba (Sabaneta)
- Andrés Eloy Blanco (El Cantón)
- Antonio José de Sucre (Socopó)
- Arismendi (Arismendi)
- Barinas (Barinas)
- Bolívar (Barinitas)
- Cruz Paredes (Barrancas)
- Ezequiel Zamora (Santa Bárbara)
- Obispos (Obispos)
- Pedraza (Ciudad Bolivia)
- Rojas (Libertad)
- Sosa (Ciudad de Nutrias)
Zenaida Gallardo was sworn in as the governor of Barinas State on 5 January 2017, replacing Adán Chávez, who was appointed as Venezuelan Minister for Culture on 4 January 2017. Gallardo resigned after only a few months, citing health reasons. In June 2017, Argenis Chávez, brother of former president Hugo Chávez, was sworn in as governor. 
In 2011, Barinas State had an estimated population of 816,264.
Race and ethnicity
According to the 2011 Census, the racial composition of the population was:
- Globovision. "Zenaida Gallardo estará al frente de la Gobernación de Barinas". Globovisión (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- "Hugo Chávez's brother becomes governor of Barinas state". BBC News. 7 June 2017.
- "Resultado Básico del XIV Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda 2011 (Mayo 2014)" (PDF). Ine.gov.ve. p. 29. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barinas (state).|
|This article about a location in Venezuela is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|