|Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh|
|Elevation AMSL||10 ft / 3 m|
|Statistics (January 2018 – January 2018)|
Barishal Airport (IATA: BZL, ICAO: VGBR) is a domestic airport located in the southern city of Barisal in Bangladesh. GMG Airlines, Royal Bengal Airlines and United Airways previously operated flights to Dhaka from this airport. In April 2015, the national carrier Biman Bangladesh Airlines resumed weekly flights after nine years.
Before it was re-constructed, there was a huge demand for an airport in the region, for quicker travel to capital Dhaka. Local organisations held many strikes and demonstrations for its construction. The airport was finally built in 1985 on 163 acres of land, at cost of BDT 4 million. It was officially inaugurated by the then president Abdur Rahman Biswas on 3 December 1995. Aero Bengal Airlines, a private airline, was the first airline to launch flights to the airport. National carrier, Biman started their services on November 1995.
In 2007, the airport played a significant role during the relief operation in the aftermath of Cyclone Sidr in November 2007, thus virtually saving thousands of lives of the cyclone affected people. International relief materials like drinking water, rice, blankets and other life saving materials were possible to send to the devastated victims of the cyclone with the help of the airport.
The airport has served 158,987 passengers between 1995 and 2009. Over 20,000 flights including passengers, training, cargo and other flights had operated from the airport. The airport saw highest number of passengers in 1999 and highest number of flights in the year 2000.
Airlines and destinations
|Biman Bangladesh Airlines||Dhaka|||
- "Bangladesh Air Traffic Movement: Passenger: Aerodrome: Barisal". Retrieved 10 January 2020.
- "VGBR: Barishal Airport". SkyVector. 27 February 2020. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "Staff on rolls, Barishal airport stuck". The Independent. 4 August 2011. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Biman resumes flights to Barishal". The Daily Star. 9 April 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- M Jasimuddin (5 April 2019). "৩৪ বছরেও পূর্ণতা পায়নি বরিশাল বিমানবন্দর". Prothom Alo (in Bengali).
- "Flight Schedule -Biman Bangladesh". www.biman-airlines.com. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- "চট্টগ্রাম ও বরিশালে ফ্লাইট বাড়াল নভোএয়ার". প্রথম আলো (in Bengali). Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- "সৈয়দপুর, রাজশাহী ও বরিশালে ইউএস বাংলার অতিরিক্ত ফ্লাইট". প্রথম আলো (in Bengali). Retrieved 11 December 2019.
- Airport information for VGBR at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh: Airports
|This article about a Bangladeshi airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|