|Subdivision||Al Batinah South Governorate|
|Time zone||UTC+4:00 United Arab Emirates Standard Time|
Nearby is Bait Na'aman (Nu'man), a four-towered fort of the 17th-century iman Bil'arab bin Sultan, renovated in 1991. The town is also known for "bull butting," a pushing contest between specially raised great Brahmin bulls, and for its halwa confectionery..Barka Fort is a known tourist sport. It holds up its tradition and culture in all fields of life. Barka Souq, near to the beach is an economically important area.
There are two major resorts in Barka, the Al-Sawadi resort and the Al-Nahda resort. In addition, a new quarter is now under construction in Barka, called "Blue City" (المدينة الزقاء), located in Sawadi. The development is 8 km from Sawadi beach, and many international companies are involved in Barka development projects. There is an estimated $15 billion in new construction currently taking place in Barka.
Barka is the site of several power and water plants including:
- The Barka 2 water and power plant, with generation capacity of 678 MW and desalination capacity of 26.4 million gallons of potable water per day
- The Barka 3 gas turbine power plant, with generation capacity of 744 MW, sponsored by Engie, Yonden and Sojitz
- A new 281,000 m³/d desalination plant is to be commissioned: Itochu, Degremont and International Power were named preferred bidders in 2015.
- "Bait Na'aman". Al Batinah and Al Dhahirah Guide. Rough Guides.
- "Introducing Barka". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Barka 2 Independent Water & Power Project". Mubadala. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Commercial Operations of Sohar 2 and Barka 3 IPP Projects in Oman Start". Sojitz Corporation. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Oman names preferred bidders for Sohar and Barka projects". The International Desalination & Water Reuse Quarterly. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Westermann, Großer Atlas zur Weltgeschichte ‹See Tfd›(in German)
|This article about the geography of Oman is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|