|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Elevation||377 m (1,237 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Barkakana is located at  It has an average elevation of 377 m (1,237 ft)..
Barkakana is a small township situated on the outskirts of the district town of Ramgarh Cantonment in Jharkhand. It is surrounded by hills in south and has Ramgarh town in East. The river Damodar flows on its north.
As per 2011 Census of India, Ramgarh Urban Agglomeration had a total population of 132,441, of which males were 70,871 and females 61,562.Ramgarh Urban Agglomeration is composed of Ramgarh Cantonment (Cantonment Board), Sirka (Census Town), Marar (CT) and Barkakana (CT).
As of 2001[update] India census, Barkakana had a population of 16,872. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Barkakana has an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 60% of the males and 40% of females literate. 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
As per 2011 census the total number of literates in Barkakana was 13,442 out of which 7,531 were males and 5,911 were females.
As per 2011 census the total number of literates in Ramgarh UA was 95,734 (82.97 per cent of total population) out of which 55,352 (89.57 percent of males) were males and 40,362 (75.35 percent of females) were females.
Barkakana also serves as a marketplace and transit point to the people of a good amount of villages (Teliyatu, Masmohna, Chotkakana and Piri to name a few) surrounding it. In recent times, a number of small-scale as well as medium-scale industries have come up in and around Barkakana, due to proximity to Damodar river, easy and cheap availability of land and presence of good transport facilities.
Barkakana railway station is under Dhanbad division under East Central Railway zone of Indian Railways. The Railway Control Room covering Barkakana section of Dhanbad division, having 34 stations is located here. It is also well connected to the district town Ramgarh Cantonment via a four-lane road, which in turn is well connected via a grid of National Highways. Barkakana also houses a Central Repair Shop of Central Coalfields Limited. A residential area for its emplyoees has come up, locally famous as N.T.S. Barkakana
Barkakana has got quite a good number of educational institutions but only till Senior-secondary level. Prominent schools among them are DAV Public School NTS Barkakana and Kendriya Vidyalaya. Sri Narayan High School,SVD Public School and Saraswati Vidyamandir are among others.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Barkakana
- "2011 Census C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". Jharkhand – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- "Provisional population totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Urban Agglomeration – Cities having population 1 lakh and above. Government of India. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Provisional population totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomerations haing population above 1 lakh and above, Census 2011. Government of India. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.