|Vice-Chancellor||Professor M.D. Tiwari|
|Location||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India|
Barkatullah University (BU) (Hindi: बरकतउल्ला विश्वविद्यालय) is a university in Bhopal, India. Originally known as Bhopal University, it was renamed in 1988 after the great freedom fighter Prof. Barkatullah, who was born in the area. It is the main university of the capital city and provides degrees to most of the non-technical colleges in and around Bhopal. Funded by the state government, the university has a residential campus and serves as an affiliating university for colleges of seven other districts. The institution affiliates the colleges of Bhopal district and other neighbouring districts like Sehore, Vidisha, Raisen, Betul, Hoshangabad, Harda and Rajgarh. Barkatullah University has been accredited as a B category university by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Campus
- 4 Programs
- 5 Library and centers
- 6 Residential student halls
- 7 Colleges
- 8 Infrastructure
- 9 Sports
- 10 Notable people
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The university was founded in 1970 as Bhopal University. It was renamed Barkatullah University in 1988. The university is a teaching and an affiliating institution. In 1974-75, the Institute of Open and Distance Education was established with the permission of UGC for distance education.
The vice chancellor is Prof. M.D. Tiwari; the registrar is Sh. L.S. Solanki.
The campus of Barkatullah University covers 360 acres (1.5 km2). It is on the National Highway 12 which passes through Bhopal. It is a residential-type campus and, apart from the quarters for the vice-chancellor and the staff, there are four hostels for boys and a hostel for girls.
On the campus, there are buildings for departments such as the Institute of Physics and Electronics, Department of Pharmacy, University Institute of Technology, Management Institute, Department of Law, Psychology Department, etc. It houses an administrative building, a guest house, an auditorium and a playground.
There are postgraduate courses, certificate courses, diploma courses, M. Phil programmes, post-doctoral fellowship, etc. which meet regional and national needs. In addition to the conventional courses, the university offers several innovative and job-oriented courses at the postgraduate level. Most of these courses are non-traditional and interdisciplinary. There are 100 academic programmes, covering postgraduate and undergraduate courses. There are 26 self-financing courses offered.
There are 10 faculties in the college and 23 teaching departments.
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Physical Education
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Institute of Open and Distance Learning
The courses are offered in the 64 government colleges and 159 private colleges that are affiliated to the university in the above-mentioned eight districts.
Library and centers
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
Residential student halls
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
Apart from the affiliated colleges, which are outside the university campus, the colleges of the university are on campus and are under the jurisdiction of Barkatullah University
Barkatullah University Institute of Technology (Faculty of Engineering)
Barkatullah University Institute of Technology, formerly University Institute of Technology (under the Faculty of Engineering), is an autonomous institute of Barkatullah University, Bhopal and is on its campus. The premises feature administrative and academic wings, a workshop, research laboratories, sports ground, gymnasium, health centre, yoga centre, dispensary, hostel (boys and girls), post office and bank.
The institute was established in 1997, following approval of the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). It offers undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs in disciplines of technology and sciences. It is a leading institution of central India. The institute has adopted internationally accepted Continuous Evaluation along with Credit and Grade Point Assessment System (CGPA) of evaluation for awarding the degrees.
The institute has made its mark as an emerging centre for research in some key areas in science and engineering including Nanotechnology, Communication Technology, etc.
The engineering college of Barkatullah University was established as College of Engineering in August 1997 with the approval of the All India Council for Technical Education in concurrence with the Government of Madhya Pradesh. The institute changed its name to UIT in 2000. After some time, it changed its name to Barkatullah University Institute of Technology (BUIT). This is a leading technological institute of central India.
BUIT offers UG, PG, PhD programmes in disciplines of engineering, technology and sciences:
- B.E. Electronics & Communication Engineering
- B.E. Computer Science & Engineering
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. Information Technology
- B.E. Civil Engineering
- M.C.A. (Master of Computer Applications) (full-time)
- M. Tech.(Material Science & Technology) (full-time) (2 years)
- M. Tech. (Nano Technology) (full-time) (2 years)
- M. Tech.(Computer Science & Engineering) (part-time) (3 years)
- M. Tech. (Digital Communication) (part-time) (3 years)
- M. Tech.(Information Technology) (part-time) (3 years)
- M. Tech. (Product Design & Engineering) (part-time) (3 years)
- M. Tech. (Nanotechnology)
- M. Sc. (Applied Physics)
- M. Sc. (Applied Mathematics)
- M. Sc. (Applied Chemistry)
- M. Phil. (Industrial Mathematics)
Ph D Programme
The Ph D Programme is run in disciplines as per the rules and regulations of the university.
The Barkatullah University, Bhopal has made available an exclusive area of 12 hectares (30 acres) out of the available 350 acres of land on the campus for building its instructional and administrative area. Presently the institute functions in buildings with a built up area of 9828 sq m. Moreover, construction of 7000 sq m for the instructional area and another 1000 sq m for workshop are being processed.
Additionally boarding facilities for 130 boys and 40 girls are available in the hostels on the campus. The institute shares facilities of the Health Center, the Computer Centre, Library, Sports and Games fields, Gymnasium, Cultural Hall & Auditorium, etc. Banking and Post Office facilities are available on the campus. An online testing facility for 60 students is in the institute for campus placement. Additionally, a state-of-the-art Computer Center with 60 clients, one Windows and one Unix server and broad band connectivity is on the institute premises. Allied facilities such as overhead projector, slide projector, Xeroxing M/c and fax m/c, is available. The entire campus is Wi-Fi enabled.
Chakravarti Rajgopalachari Institute of Management
The management college of Barkatullah was set up in 1979. Chakravarti Rajgopalachari Institute of Management, or CRIM, offers a two-year full-time postgraduate programme in Management (MBA). Entry to this programme is regulated through a rigorous selection process conducted by VYAPAM and competitive business scenario.
Rajeev Gandhi Chair
Rajeev Gandhi Chair is horned by UGC to BU. The chair is working in the research field especially in tribal area and has submitted five Ph.D. theses. The chair is also doing research work on tribal technology. A first thesis on tribal technology was submitted by Vishal Massey under the guidance of Dr. S. N. Chaudhary. His topic was "Socio-cultural Consequences of Changing Technology" which he submitted in August 2010.
Barkatullah University Stadium is a proposed cricket stadium. The stadium will be on 35 to 40 acres of land with 440 meters of pavilion, 75 meter boundary with ten wickets and parking space of 50,000 vehicles.
- Meenakshi Banerjee, scientist
- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, president of Somalia
- Pamposh Bhat, environmentalist and winner of the Rajbhasha Award for Poetry
- Pankaj Subeer, poet and Navlekhan Award-winning novelist
- Rahat Indori, poet and Bollywood lyricist
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan, chief minister of Madhya Pradesh
- Mohit S. Jain, co-founder of Math Genie
- List of educational institutions in Bhopal
- University Institute of Technology RGPV
- Lakshmi Narain College of Technology
- "Accredition". Archived from the original on 2007-09-22. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "Institute of Open and Distance Education". Archived from the original on 2007-04-01. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "Report by NAAC". Archived from the original on 2007-09-22. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "Courses on offer". Archived from the original on 2007-03-23. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "List of Affiliated Colleges". Archived from the original on 5 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "University Institute of Technology". Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- "Institute of Management". Archived from the original on 2007-02-03. Retrieved 2007-04-02.
- times of India
- Times of India
- Question Paper Related BU
- News Updates Related BU
- BU Bhopal Admission, Time Table, Result & Admit Card