Barkingside was historically part of Essex until the creation of the London Borough of Redbridge in 1965. Barkingside is chiefly known for the children's charity Barnardo's, which was founded there in 1866, and still has its headquarters there. Some of the oldest buildings in Barkingside include the Barnardo's chapel, the underground station, which was originally an Edwardian railway station, and Holy Trinity Church, which dates from 1840. Barkingside is an ethnically and religiously diverse district notable for an unusually high concentration of London's Jewish population.
Fullwell Cross takes its name from a mediaeval preaching cross that once stood there. Long before there was a church, monks from Barking Abbey would go there to conduct outdoor services for the farmers of Barkingside.
Barkingside has four secondary schools: Ilford County High School, Caterham High School, King Solomon High School and Oaks Park High School. Primary schools in the area include Clore Tikva Primary School, Fullwood Primary School and Mossford Green Primary School.
Many of the buildings along the A123 High Street Barkingside are owned by entrepreneur Alan Sugar. At the northern end of the High Street is Fullwell Cross roundabout, which gives its name to the adjacent leisure centre and distinctive circular Grade II listed library building (both designed by the architect Frederick Gibberd) as well as the council neighbourhood bordering the north west of Barkingside proper.
Ken Aston Square, located between the leisure centre and library, was officially opened on 27 September 2014. Ken Aston had been a local headteacher and the football referee thought to have introduced red and yellow cards. His name was chosen from a shortlist by residents. The square is bordered on one side by a long arched colonnade designed in the style of the library building and providing a covered, lit space.
A small turfed space at the High Street end of Virginia Gardens known as the pocket park was also completed in 2014, partly funded by the GLA Pocket Parks Programme. Its informal landscaping references Frederick Gibberd's garden and consists of trees, mixed shrubs and a Christmas tree. Both square and park are outcomes of the Better Barkingside regeneration project.
Barkingside has two public houses. The New Fairlop Oak pub is located on the Fullwell Cross roundabout, named after a giant tree under which an annual fair took place for over a century. At the other end of the High Street is the Chequers pub.
Sport and leisure
Redbridge FC and Barkingside F.C., both non-league football clubs, share the facilities at the Oakside Stadium, adjacent to Barkingside tube station. Barkingside Recreational Ground in Mossford Green is one of the area's most popular open spaces.Popular footballer Trveor Brooking who played for West Ham United and England attended Ilford County High School. Successful British Racing driver Scott Malvern grew up in Barkingside and attended Fairlop Primary School and then Caterham High School. Caterham High School is a sports academy and attended by youth team players of West Ham United football club who have their training ground nearby.
|128||Claybury Broadway to Romford Station||Barkingside, Gants Hill , Ilford||Arriva London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|150||Chigwell Row to Becontree Heath Bus Station||Hainault Barkingside, Gants Hill , Ilford||Arriva London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|167||Debden to Ilford Hainault Street||Loughton , Barkingside, Gants Hill||Go-Ahead London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|169||Barking Town Centre to Clayhall The Glade||Ilford , Newbury Park, Barkingside||Stagecoach London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|247||Barkingside to Romford Station||Hainault , Collier Row||Stagecoach London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|275||Walthamstow St James Street Station to Barkingside Tesco||Highams Park, Woodford Green, Woodford Bridge||Stagecoach London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|462||Hainault The Lowe to Ilford Hainault Street||Grange Hill , Barkingside, Gants Hill||Go-Ahead London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
- Trevor Brooking, footballer, attended Ilford County High School.
- Scott Malvern Motor Racing Driver, grew up in Barkingside and attended Fairlop Primary School and Caterham High School
- Kathy Kirby, singer, grew up in Barkingside.
- "History of Redbridge". www2.redbridge.gov.uk. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- http://www.victorianlondon.org/charities/barnados.htm Dr. Barnado's Homes at Barking Side.
- http://www.eastlondonchurch.co.uk Holy Trinity Church.
- Office for National Statistics (2012). "2011 Census: QS210EW Religion (detailed), local authorities in England and Wales" (Microsoft Excel spreadsheet).
- Patient, Douglas (10 September 2014). "Shortlist announced for public vote on name for new Barkingside square". Gannet. Wanstead & Woodford Guardian. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Greater London Authority. "Pocket Parks Programme". Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- Better Barkingside (July 2014). "Project sheets: Town Square and Virginia Gardens". Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Ilford's 'Blonde Bombshell' Kathy Kirby dies age 72" Ilfordrecorder.co.uk. Retrieved 13 September 2014.