Barlaeus Gymnasium in 2005
|Motto||Disciplina Vitae Scipio|
|Number of students||800|
The Barlaeus Gymnasium is a secondary school in Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It is one of the five categorial gymnasia in Amsterdam, the other four being Vossius Gymnasium, Ignatius Gymnasium, Het 4e gymnasium and Cygnus Gymnasium. It offers a classical curriculum, including studies in Latin and Greek. The school stands opposite of music venue Paradiso, close to the Leidseplein.
Het Stedelijk Gymnasium was established in 1885. It is the oldest of the four gymnasia, although its origins stretch back to the Latijnse scholen (Latin schools) whose existence is documented as far back as 1594. Since 1927, the school is named after Caspar Barlaeus. Famous alumni include politicians Frits Bolkestein, Els Borst and writer Willem Frederik Hermans.
- Frits Bolkestein
- Els Borst
- Manja Croiset
- A. G. van Hamel
- Hubertine Heijermans
- Willem Frederik Hermans
- Xaviera Hollander
- Willy Lindwer
- Taylan Susam
- A public (openbare) school in the Netherlands is a school which receives only state funding, as opposed to special schools, which often receive religious funding too. See also: Schoolstrijd
- Education inspection report
- Article on the school's reception of funding intended for "problem" schools
- Hermans, Peter (2004). Niet voor de school - Niet voor het leven. Amsterdam: Barlaeus Gymnasium.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barlaeus Gymnasium.|
- (in Dutch) Barlaeus Gymnasium, official website