Barlaston railway station
|Managed by||West Midlands Trains/London Northwestern Railway|
|Classification||DfT category F2|
|17 April 1848||Opened|
|23 May 2004||Services withdrawn|
Barlaston railway station served the village of Barlaston in Staffordshire, England. This station was opened on 17 April 1848 and is on the first line opened by the North Staffordshire Railway on that date.
Trains no longer stop at Barlaston. The Stafford to Stoke-on-Trent local service was withdrawn when the route was temporarily closed for major refurbishment on 23 May 2004 as part of the West Coast Main Line modernisation scheme and never reinstated. Passengers are now served by bus service No 14 and 14X operated by D&G Bus, which acts as the station's official rail replacement bus service, on which valid rail tickets (including advance purchase tickets) to/from Wedgwood and Barlaston are officially accepted. Access to the platforms is no longer possible as the station has been fenced off.
Barlaston is not included as a stop on the Crewe - London Euston service operated by West Midlands Trains. The new franchise, West Midland Trains may see the station reopened to passenger services.
Barlaston is mentioned in the ghost or parliamentary train list maintained by Ghost Train Hunters enthusiasts group. The North Staffs Rail Promotion Group campaign for the restoration of the train service continues.
The Department for Transport stated that the rail replacement service would continue whilst it sought a "sustainable solution" to the demand for the restoration of train services when it awarded the West Midlands Rail franchise in 2018. As at 2019 it continues to part-fund this contractual service, currently in its sixteenth year.
- "Barlaston". National Rail.
- "Barlaston Train Station". West Midlands Railway.
- "Reopening of Barlaston Railway Station (Stoke-on-Trent)". Hansard. 18 January 2016. Retrieved 28 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Public to have say on trains stopping at Barlaston's station". Staffordshire Newsletter. 17 December 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[permanent dead link]
- Rail. No. 867. p. 27. Missing or empty
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2016). Rugeley to Stoke-on-Trent. West Sussex: Middleton Press. figs. 63-74. ISBN 978-1-908174-90-1. OCLC 972169395.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barlaston railway station.|
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line open, station closed
Stafford to Manchester Line
Line and station open