Barlow's lark (Calendulauda barlowi) is a species of lark in the family Alaudidae. It is found in Namibia and South Africa where its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical dry shrubland. It is threatened by habitat loss.
Taxonomy and systematics
Originally, Barlow's lark was classified as belonging to the genus Pseudammomanes, then later by Mirafra and Certhilauda, until moved to Calendulauda in 2009. Formerly, some authorities considered Barlow's lark as a subspecies of either the Karoo lark (as Certhilauda albescens barlowi) or the dune lark (as Certhilauda erythrochlamys barlowi). Not all authorities recognize each of these re-classifications.
- C. b. barlowi (Roberts, 1937): Found from the Koichab River to Aus (south-western Namibia)
- C. b. patae (Macdonald, 1953): Found in coastal south-western Namibia to north-western South Africa
- Cave's lark, C. b. cavei (Macdonald, 1953): Found in inland south-western Namibia to north-western South Africa. Some authorities consider Cave's lark to be a separate species.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Certhilauda barlowi". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Based on range map in Hockey, P. A. R.; Dean, W. R. J.; Ryan, P. G. (2005). Roberts Birds of Southern Africa (7th ed.). Cape Town: Trustees of the John Voelcker Bird Book Fund. p. 874. ISBN 0-620-34053-3.
- "Calendulauda [barlowi or cavei] - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Calendulauda barlowi - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael (2003). Whose Bird? Men and Women Commemorated in the Common Names of Birds. London: Christopher Helm. p. 39.
- "IOC World Bird List 6.4". IOC World Bird List Datasets. doi:10.14344/ioc.ml.6.4.
- "Calendulauda cavei - Avibase". avibase.bsc-eoc.org. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
|This Alaudidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|