|Born||January 17, 1956|
|Alma mater||Busoga College Mwiri|
(East African Certificate of Education)
(East African Advanced Certificate of Education)
Kiev Institute of Building Technology
(Master of Science in Architecture)
(Doctor of Philosophy)
|Occupation||Architect, Academic, University administrator|
|Years active||1987 – present|
|Known for||Architecture, Academic leadership|
Background and education
He was born in Busia District, Uganda in the Eastern Region of the country. He attended Busoga College Mwiri for both his O-Level and A-Level education. He holds a Master of Science in architecture and a Doctor of Philosophy, both from the Kiev Institute of Building Technology.
Nawangwe was a lecturer and Head of Department of Architecture, from the time the department was founded in 1987 until 2002. He became Senior Lecturer in 1996. In 2002, he was appointed Associate Dean, Faculty of Technology. The following year, he became Dean, Faculty of Technology, Makerere University, serving in that capacity from 2003 until 2010. In 2004, he became a professor. For a period of time, starting in 2010 until 2013, he served as the Principal, College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology.
At the time of his election as Vice Chancellor, he served as Deputy Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, "responsible for the planning, budgeting and development of the university".
Professor Barnabas Nawangwe was installed as Vice Chancellor of Makerere University on 14 September 2017, at a ceremony at which the president of Uganda was the chief guest.
He serves as a consultant architect and has been involved in many architectural projects at the university for a period stretching back at least 20 years. He is also an external examiner at the University of Nairobi, the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and the Oslo School of Architecture.
Succession table as Vice-Chancellor of Makerere University
John Ddumba Ssentamu
2012 – 2017
| Vice Chancellor of Makerere University
2017 – 2022
To be determined
2022 – 2027
- Mukyaye, Damali (29 June 2017). "Nawangwe elected Makerere Vice Chancellor". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- MAK (30 June 2017). "Makerere University: The College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology: Staff Profiles: Barnabas Nawangwe". Kampala: Makerere University (MAK). Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Mutegeki, Geoffrey (14 June 2017). "Makerere VC candidates set for public presentation". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Kyatusiimire, Sharon (15 September 2017). "Concentrate on Marketable Courses, Museveni Directs Makerere Dons". Kampala: Chimp Reports Uganda. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Mark (30 July 2017). "The Council for Frontiers of Knowledge: Leading the World in Defining and Developing Global Sustainable Science and Technology: Barnabas Nawangwe". Kampala: The Council for Frontiers of Knowledge. Retrieved 30 June 2017.