Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini
|Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini|
|Prime Minister of Swaziland|
23 October 2008
|Preceded by||Bheki Dlamini (Acting)|
26 July 1996 – 29 September 2003
|Preceded by||Sishayi Nxumalo (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Paul Shabangu (Acting)|
|Born||15 May 1942|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin,
University of South Africa
New York University
Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini (born 15 May 1942) is the Prime Minister of Swaziland. He was Prime Minister from 1996 to 2003 and has held the position again from October 2008. He has now been appointed for the third time in the ninth parliament Dlamini was Minister of Finance from 1984 to 1993. He was also an executive director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF). From 1996 to 2003, he was Prime Minister, and in 2003 he became a member of King Mswati III's advisory council. Dlamini was a candidate, backed by the Swazi government, for the position of Chairperson of the African Union Commission in early 2008. The government withdrew his candidacy out of solidarity with the Southern African Development Community (SADC) so that SADC could present a single candidate.
Following the September 2008 parliamentary election, Dlamini was reappointed as Prime Minister by Mswati III on 16 October 2008. Jan Sithole, the Secretary-General of the Swaziland Federation of Trade Unions, was critical of the appointment, saying that Dlamini worked to "suppress political organisations and advance the strong rule of the monarchy" during his earlier period as Prime Minister; he also accused Dlamini of "strong-hand tactics and lack of respect for the rule of law". Opposition leader Mario Masuku, the President of the People's United Democratic Movement, said that Dlamini "was not appointed on merit but on his level of allegiance to the king". Dlamini was sworn in by Chief Justice Richard Banda on 23 October 2008. He took the oath of office both in English and in SiSwati.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-28.
- "Swaziland appoint Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini as prime minister", The Independent (UK), 27 July 1996.
- "Swazi king names staunch royalist as prime minister" Archived 20 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine., AFP, 16 October 2008.
- Elimane Fall, "Après Konaré, qui ?" Archived 7 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine., Jeuneafrique.com, 23 December 2007 (French).
- "CANDIDACY OF DR. BARNABAS SIBUSISO DLAMINI TO THE POSITION OF CHAIRPERSON OF THE AFRICAN UNION COMMISSION" Archived 25 November 2007 at the Wayback Machine., Swazi government website.
- "In Preparation for AU Summit" Archived 6 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine., AU Monitor.
- "Ex-PM Sibusiso out of AU race", The Swazi Observer, 2 January 2008.
- Senzo Dlamini, "Barnabas sworn in – in style", Times of Swaziland, 24 October 2008.
|Prime Minister of Swaziland
|Prime Minister of Swaziland