District of Punjab
Location in Punjab, India
|• Total||1,423 km2 (549 sq mi)|
|• Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|• Regional||Punjabi, Hindi, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
It is a centrally located district bordered by Ludhiana district on the north, Moga district on northwest, Bathinda district on west and by Sangrur district on all other sides. The current MLA of the district is Mr. Meet Hayer of AAP.
- The Deputy Commissioner (DC), an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service, is the overall in-charge of the General Administration in the district. Currently Mr Ghansham Thori, IAS is Deputy Commissioner of Barnala District. He is assisted by a number of officers belonging to Punjab Civil Service and other state services.
- The Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues of the district. Currently Mr Opinderjit Singh is the Sr Supdt of Police. He has joined two days ago.He is expected to maintain very cordial relations with all the NGOs and Social Associations of the city. He is assisted by the officers of the Punjab Police Service and other Punjab Police officials.
- Indian Red Cross Society (IRC). Red Cross is globally accredited for its presence in providing quality health care services and always extends a helping hand to the needy. Indian Red Cross Society (IRC), Barnala District Branch is having Mr Raj Kumar Jindal as its Hony. Secretary. Patrons, Life Members and volunteers of the Society recently attended a "Seminar on Fund Raising and Capacity Building" at Ferozepur (the border town of Punjab)on 26 April 2011. Dr Raj Kumar Jindal led the delegation.
- The District Public Relations Officer(DPRO). He is responsible for Public Relations of the State Govt. as well as the District Administrations. He issues and authorises Press Notes to the Print and Electronic Media of the District. Maintains records of all press and electronic channel reporters. Currently Mr Gurmeet Singh Khaira is DPRO of Barnala District.
- The Divisional Forest Officer(DFO), an officer belonging to the Indian Forest Service is responsible for managing the Forests, environment and wild-life related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Punjab Forest Service and other Punjab Forest officials and Punjab Wild-Life officials.
Sectoral development is looked after by the district head of each development department such as PWD, Agriculture, Health, Education and Animal husbandry. These officers belong to various State Services.
- The District Informatic Officer(DIO), a head of National Informatics Center. This department works regarding the E-Governance and other Technology-based Services that provides an automated environment to do the various tasks in District Office. Currently Mr. Neeraj Garg is DIO.
According to the 2011 census Barnala district has a population of 596,294, roughly equal to the nation of Solomon Islands or the US state of Wyoming. This gives it a ranking of 527th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 419 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,090/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 13.16%. Barnala has a sex ratio of 876 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 68.9%.
Area Telephone Code: 01679 Postal Code: 148101 Vehicle Code Range: PB 19
- "District at a Glance".
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Solomon Islands 571,890 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 2011-09-30.