Barnegat High School
|Barnegat High School|
|180 Bengal Boulevard
Barnegat Township, NJ 08005
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Barnegat Township School District|
|Vice principals||Michelle Clerico
|Enrollment||982 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.4:1|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Barnegat High School is a comprehensive community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Barnegat Township, in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States, operating as a part of the Barnegat Township School District.
The school opened in September 2004 with the incoming freshman class only. There were no upperclassmen until the following year when the first incoming class became sophomores, and the new incoming freshmen were in place. It progressed this way until all four classes were in place beginning in September 2007. The first graduation ceremony took place in June 2008. Barnegat students who were already attending Southern Regional High School prior to the Barnegat High School opening, remained there until their graduation. The final year that Barnegat had students attending Southern Regional was the 2006-07 school year, with 267 seniors at Southern Regional High School in Stafford Township representing the final group attending under a sending/receiving relationship with the Southern Regional School District, which has now ended. Barnegat High School is now open for grades nine through twelve, with the last group of Barnegat students at Southern Regional graduating in June 2007, and grade 12 having been added at Barnegat High School starting in September 2007.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 982 students and 79.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.4:1. There were 250 students (25.5% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 77 (7.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 186th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 183rd of 328 schools in the state in 2012, after being ranked 193rd in 2010, out of 322 schools listed.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school 187th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 36 positions from its 2010 ranking), based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the two components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), mathematics (82.5%) and language arts literacy (89.6%).
The school's building was completed in Barnegat Township under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Construction Corporation. The 156,000-square-foot (14,500 m2), two-story building is located on a 66-acre (270,000 m2) campus, and includes 29 classrooms, six science labs, two technology labs, art and music rooms, cafeteria, media center, gymnasium, weight room and a 600-seat auditorium. The campus includes six athletic fields and a track. The new building opened to students in September 2004, with ribbon cutting ceremonies held on November 13, 2004. A contract for a second phase of work was awarded on October 16, 2006, and was scheduled to include 50,000 square feet (5,000 m2) of new space, including 28 additional classrooms and an alternate gymnasium.
The Barnegat High School Bengals compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County. The league operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 720 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 496 to 778 students in that grade range.
As of the 2009 season, 10 varsity football players had moved on to NCAA college play in the first five seasons of the program. The varsity track teams had successful 2010 spring track seasons, with the women's team going 6-1 (winning B-South) and the men's team finishing undefeated with a 7-0 record for the first time ever and winning B-South.
Barnegat High School's music department is led by faculty members Natalie Altonjy and Anthony Orecchio. The music department offers a wide range of musical ensembles and academic classes. Instrumental ensembles include the 9th grade Concert Band and intermediate Symphonic Band, directed by Orecchio. He also directs the advanced Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble. Smaller groups include the Brass Ensemble and Pit Orchestra. Vocal Coordinator Altonjy leads the Chorus and Select Choir, as well as the after school Chorus Club. The ensembles perform and compete numerous times throughout the year. The department's dedication to high-quality musical performance has been recognized throughout the state.
Academic classes offered by the music department include Intro to Music, Intro to Film, 20th Century Music, Music Theory I, AP Music Theory and Classical Guitar Workshop.
The department also includes an award-winning marching band. The Barnegat High School Marching Bengals compete in Tournament of Bands Chapter 1 as a Group II band. In 2008 and 2009, the Marching Bengals were named the Group II Regional Champions in Chapter 1. The band currently competes in group I and placed 2nd in the Chapter I Championships with a score of 89.9. The Color Guard placed 1st. They also received Best Visual.
Members of the school's administration include:
- Stephen Nichol, Principal
- Michelle Clerico, Vice Principal
- Michelle Johns, Vice Principal
Mark McCoy (born 1994, class of 2012), professional baseball pitcher.
- School data for Barnegat High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Barnegat High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Barnegat High School, Shore Conference. Accessed March 11, 2008.
- The History of SRHS, Southern Regional School District. Accessed September 8, 2014. "June 2007 marked the last graduating class with students from Barnegat. Barnegat High School became a full 9-12 high school in September 2007."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 9, 2012.
- Barnegat Township District: New Barnegat High School, New Jersey Schools Construction Corporation. Accessed March 7, 2007
- Member Schools, Shore Conference. Accessed August 10, 2017.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Administration, Barnegat High School. Accessed November 12, 2015.
- Zedalis, Joe. "Former Barnegat ace Jason Groome has Red Sox camp buzzing", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, March 22, 2017. Accessed July 31, 2017. "The buzz that followed former Barnegat High School star Jason Groome around the Shore Conference last spring has followed him to Fort Myers, Fla. this spring."
- Englund, Eric. "Addams Family at BHS Features Local Equity Actress", The Sand Paper, April 14, 2016. Accessed July 31, 2017. "But that's the case for the Barnegat High School's Bengal Theater Company, whose production of The Addams Family features Brigid Harrington. The school sophomore, who appears courtesy of Actor's Equity, will play 'Wednesday' in the musical... A former student at the Ocean County Vocational Technical School's Performing Arts Academy, Harrington said this will be her first performance with the Bengal troupe."