Barnet General Hospital
|Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust|
Barnet General Hospital
|Location||Wellhouse Lane, Chipping Barnet, London, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The original hospital on the site was the Wellhouse Hospital which was opened by Viscount Hampden, the Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire, in November 1920. It was renamed Barnet General Hospital in 1950.
The rebuilding of the hospital was procured under a Private Finance Initiative contract in 1999. The works were designed by the Percy Thomas Partnership and carried out by Bouygues at a cost of £54 million. They were completed in February 2002 and the new facilities were opened by the Princess Royal in February 2003. Facilities management services are provided by Ecovert.
The new facilities include accident and emergency care, intensive care, internal medicine, surgery, gynecology, orthopaedics, anesthetics, haematology, stroke medicine, dermatology, paediatrics and genito-urinary medicine.
Barnet Hospital is served directly by three Transport for London bus services, routes 263, 307 and 384. The closest Underground station is High Barnet, which is a 15-minute walk away. On site parking has been highlighted by Which? as having the highest minimum charge in the country.
|Urgent and emergency services||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good|
|Critical care||Good||Good||Good||Requires improvement||Good||Good|
|Maternity and gynaecology||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good|
|Services for children and young people||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good|
|End of life care||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good|
|Outpatients and diagnostic imaging||Good||Not rated||Good||Good||Good||Good|
In November 2013, the Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt announced that Barnet Hospital was being investigated in relation to the Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal. The subsequent NHS and DoH investigation concluded that following an extensive search of Trust and public archives, the investigating team found no record of JS being involved with BH, either through fund raising events, VIP visits or charitable donations.
- "Barnet General Hospital". Hospital Management. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Barnet Hospital". Lost Hospitals of London. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Wong, Florence (1 September 2008). "Risk Management of PFI contracts in the Healthcate Sector in the UK" (PDF). p. 31. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "NHS capital expenditure and the private finance initiative—expansion or contraction?" (PDF). British Medical Journal. 3 July 1999. p. 49. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Project Database — Projects: London". PPP Forum. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Barnet Hospital" (PDF). Bouygues. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "The Royal Free". The Royal Free. Retrieved 2018-04-07.
- Buses from Barnet Hospital
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- Alex Hayes. "Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals defend parking charges but say they are under review". Times Series. Retrieved 2018-04-07.
- "Barnet General Hospital: Quality Report" (PDF). Care Quality Commission. p. 15. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "Jimmy Savile: 19 more hospitals to investigate links". BBC News. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Jimmy Savile NHS investigation published". DoH. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.