|Sir Barney White-Spunner|
|Years of service||1979–2011|
|Commands held||Household Cavalry
Kabul Multinational Brigade
3rd Mechanised Division
Multinational Division (South East)
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
|Other work||Executive Chairman of the Countryside Alliance and Director of the Countryside Alliance Foundation|
Lieutenant General Sir Barnabas William Benjamin White-Spunner KCB, CBE is a former British Army officer who is currently Executive Chairman of the Countryside Alliance and Director of the Countryside Alliance Foundation.
Educated at Eton College and the University of St Andrews, Barney White-Spunner was commissioned into the Blues and Royals in 1979. He was appointed Commanding Officer of the Household Cavalry in 1996 and in that capacity was deployed to Bosnia. In 1998, he was promoted to colonel and became Deputy Director of Defence Policy at NATO and in 2001 he took charge of an operation to disarm Albanian insurgents in Macedonia.
He became Commander of 16 Air Assault Brigade in December 2000 and was given command of the Kabul Multinational Brigade in 2002 before becoming Chief of Joint Force Operations for the national contingent in the Middle East in 2003.
By 2005 he was Chief of Staff at Land Command and in 2007 he was appointed General Officer Commanding 3rd (UK) Mechanised Division. In February 2008 he deployed with elements of 3rd (UK) Mechanised Division to Iraq where those elements formed HQ Multinational Division (South East). He went on to be Commander of the Field Army in 2009.
- Barney White-Spunner: the very model of a modern Major General The Independent, 3 August 2008
- The London Gazette: . 5 January 1999. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 17 May 2005. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 29 October 2007. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 7 July 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 28 October 2002. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 11 June 2011.
- Queen's Birthday Honours List 2011
- Oral Evidence The Iraq Inquiry, 7 January 2010
- Top soldier is Countryside Alliance's new boss Horse and Hound, 19 January 2012
- Former Head of UK Field Army Appointed to lead Countryside Alliance Countryside Alliance, 19 January 2012
- Horse Guards by Barney White-Spunner, Macmillan, 2006, ISBN 978-1-4050-5574-1
|General Officer Commanding the 3rd (UK) Mechanised Division
|General Officer Commanding
Multi-National Division (South East), Iraq
February 2008 – August 2008
Sir Graeme Lamb
|Commander Field Army