Baroeg is a music venue in Rotterdam. Baroeg self-describes itself as a 'subcultural pop venue' and hosts alternative modern music events and concerts. The club has been located in the Rotterdam neighbourhood Lombardijen, in the Spinozapark on the Spinozaweg (the club takes its name from the given name of Baruch Spinoza, as pronounced in Dutch).
Baroeg also hosts dance nights. A well-known dance event is the monthly Downward Spiral (electronic body music, gothic rock and more). Other dance nights vary from cybergothic to wave to drum and bass.
In the past bands such as Tröckener Kecks, Claw Boys Claw, Cradle of Filth and Within Temptation (in 1998) performed at Baroeg though with a capacity of 400 visitors it is not feasible to host such famous bands anymore.
Since the 25 year anniversary Baroeg twice-annually organized the Baroeg Open Air festival outside the Baroeg in the park.
Since 2011 Baroeg Open Air is held annually in the Zuiderpark, near to Ahoy.
In 2007 Baroeg was temporarily closed down after Michal Karlowicz, a 24-year-old Polish man, died after being hit with a bar stool. Two suspects were soon apprehended and were later convicted to jail terms of five and six years. Mayor Ivo Opstelten closed Baroeg for three months despite protest in the city council by the Socialist Party and Livable Rotterdam The protests fell on deaf ears and Baroeg was closed for the three-month duration.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baroeg.|
- (Dutch) Baroeg viert dertigjarig bestaan Archived October 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine., De Havenloods Noord, 5 May 2011
- (Dutch) Twee arrestaties voor fatale klap met barkruk, NU.nl, 4 June 2007
- (Dutch) Celstraffen voor doodslag met barkruk , NU.nl, 27 February 2008
- (Dutch) Baroeg moet 3 maanden dicht, MusicFromNL, 18 June 2007
- (Dutch) SP Rotterdam: "Drie maanden sluiten is doodsteek Baroeg", 3VOOR12, 20 June 2007
- (Dutch) Gemeente Rotterdam draait sluiting Baroeg niet terug, 3VOOR12, 22 June 2007
- (Dutch) Website of Baroeg