Baron Grantley, of Markenfield in the County of York, is a title in the Peerage of Great Britain. It was created in 1782 for Sir Fletcher Norton, Attorney General from 1763 to 1765 and Speaker of the House of Commons from 1770 to 1780. His son, the second Baron, was also a politician and represented Richmond, Wigtown Burghs, Guildford and Surrey in Parliament. He was succeeded by his nephew, the third Baron. He was present at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. He was childless and on his death the title passed to his nephew, the fourth Baron. As of 2010[update] the title is held by the latter's great-great-grandson, the eighth Baron, who succeeded his father in 1995.
Barons Grantley (1782)
- Fletcher Norton, 1st Baron Grantley (1716–1789)
- William Norton, 2nd Baron Grantley (1742–1822)
- Fletcher Norton, 3rd Baron Grantley (1796–1875)
- Thomas Brinsley Norton, 4th Baron Grantley (1831–1877)
- John Richard Brinsley Norton, 5th Baron Grantley (1855–1943)
- Richard Henry Brinsley Norton, 6th Baron Grantley (1892–1954)
- John Richard Brinsley Norton, 7th Baron Grantley (1923–1995)
- Richard William Brinsley Norton, 8th Baron Grantley (b. 1956)
The heir presumptive is the Hon. Francis John Hilary Norton (born 1960), second son of the seventh Baron and younger brother of the present Baron.
His heir apparent is his only son, John Ferenc Brinsley Norton (born 2005).
- London Gazette no. 12282. p. 1
- Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David, eds. (1990). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage. New York: St Martin's Press.
- Cokayne, G.E.; Vicary Gibbs, P.; Doubleday, H.; Howard de Walden, Lord Aubrey, eds. (1913–1958). "The Viscount Grantley". The Complete Peerage of Great Britain extant, dormant, abeyant and extinct. London: St Catherine's Press. XIV.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2002). "Viscount Grantley". Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage. London: Cassells. 1 of 2.
- Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David, eds. (1999). "Burke's Peerage and Baronetage". 2 (106th ed.).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baron Grantley.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Baton Grantley|