|Peerage||Peerage of Great Britain|
|First holder||Sir Harry McGowan|
|Present holder||Harry John Charles McGowan, 4th Baron McGowan.|
|Heir presumptive||Hon. Dominic James Wilson McGowan|
|Seat(s)||Highway Hall, West Froyle|
|Former seat(s)||Bragborough Hall, Northamptonshire|
|Motto||Juncta Juvant (Union is strength)|
Baron McGowan, of Ardeer
The title was created in 1937 for Sir Harry McGowan, Chairman of Imperial Chemical Industries. As of 2014[update] the title is held by his great-grandson, the fourth Baron, who succeeded his father in 2003.
The McGowan family is related to the Earls of Cottenham and the renowned Diarist, MP and Naval administrator Samuel Pepys through the current Baron's mother Lady Gillian Angela Pepys, daughter of John Digby Thomas Pepys, 7th Earl of Cottenham. The family is also descended from the House of Neville through Lady Angela Isabel Nevill, grandmother of the 4th Baron. This connection names Kings Edward III, Edward IV and Richard III among the family's ancestors.
The current title holder, Harry John Charles McGowan's immediate family include his sisters, Hon. Emma Louisa Angela McGowan and Hon. Annabel Kate Cory McGowan, and his daughters, Hon. Sophie Isabella Fox McGowan and Hon. Martha Davina Fox McGowan.
Barons McGowan (1937)
- Harry Duncan McGowan, 1st Baron McGowan (1874–1961)
- Harry Wilson McGowan, 2nd Baron McGowan (1906–1966)
- Harry Duncan Cory McGowan, 3rd Baron McGowan (1938–2003)
- Harry John Charles McGowan, 4th Baron McGowan (b. 1971)
Coat of arms
Ancestry & family tree
(Please click "show" to Expand the box below)
|Ancestors of Baron McGowan|
- "No. 34375". The London Gazette. 26 February 1937. p. 1324.
- Burkes Peerage 107th edition- pg; 2625
- Cracroft's Peerage
- Edward III of England
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p. 287, Pepys, Earl of Cottenham
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p. 1015, Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury