Baron Rankeillour, of Buxted in the County of Sussex, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1932 for the Conservative politician James Hope. He was the grandson of General Sir Alexander Hope, fourth son of John Hope, 2nd Earl of Hopetoun (from whom the Marquesses of Linlithgow descend; see this title for earlier history of the family). His eldest son, the second Baron, was also a Conservative politician and held junior ministerial office. From 1940 to 1946 he served as Governor of Madras. He was succeeded by his younger brother, the third Baron. On the death in 2005 of his only son, the fourth Baron, this line of the family failed. The late Baron was succeeded by his first cousin, the fifth and (As of 2013[update]) present holder of the title. He is the eldest son of the Hon. Richard Frederick Hope, youngest son of the first Baron. As a descendant of the second Earl of Hopetoun he is also in remainder to this peerage and its subsidiary titles the viscountcy of Aithrie and lordship of Hope, which are now held by his kinsman the Marquess of Linlithgow.
Barons Rankeillour (1932)
- James Fitzalan Hope, 1st Baron Rankeillour (1870–1949)
- Arthur Oswald James Hope, 2nd Baron Rankeillour (1897–1958)
- Henry John Hope, 3rd Baron Rankeillour (1899–1967)
- Peter St Thomas More Henry Hope, 4th Baron Rankeillour (1935–2005)
- Michael Richard Hope, 5th Baron Rankeillour (b. 1940)
The heir apparent is the present holder's son Hon. James Francis Hope (b. 1968).
The heir apparent's heir apparent is his son Charlie James Hope (b. 2003).
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- The London Gazette: . 1 July 1932.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Portrait of James Fitzalan Hope
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 7866 § 78654 page for James Fitzalan Hope & Arthur Oswald James Hope". The Peerage.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 7744 § 77432 page for Henry John Hope". The Peerage.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 6060 § 60595 page for Peter Thomas More Hope". The Peerage.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 7867 § 78665 page for Michael Richard Hope". The Peerage.