Baron Strathspey, of Strathspey in the Counties of Inverness and Moray, is a title that has been created twice, both times in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. On both occasions, the barony was created for an Earl of Seafield.
Barons Strathspey, first creation (1858)
It was created for the first time in 1858 for John Ogilvy-Grant, 7th Earl of Seafield (see the Earl of Seafield for earlier history of this title). This creation became extinct on the death of his son, the eighth Earl and second Baron, in 1884.
Barons Strathspey, second creation (1884)
The barony was revived only a few months after it first became extinct in favour of the late Earl's uncle, James Ogilvy-Grant, 9th Earl of Seafield (who had also succeeded him in the baronetcy of Colquhoun; see Colquhoun baronets for earlier history of this title). The barony and baronetcy remained subsidiary titles of the earldom until the death of the ninth Earl's grandson, the eleventh Earl, in 1915. The earldom, which could be passed on to female heirs, was inherited by the Earl's daughter and only child, the twelfth Countess (see the Earl of Seafield for later history of the earldom).
The baronetcy and barony of Strathspey, which could only be inherited by males, were passed on to the Earl's brother, the fourth Baron. His son, the fifth Baron, was confirmed in the surname of Grant of Grant by decree of the Lord Lyon in 1950. As of 2014[update] the titles are held by the latter's eldest son, the sixth Baron, who succeeded in 1992. His is the 33rd Chief of Clan Grant.
As a descendant of the tenth Earl of Seafield he is also in remainder to this peerage and its subsidiary titles. Lord Strathspey has three daughters but no sons. His daughters are also in remainder to the earldom of Seafield but not to the baronetcy of Colquhoun and the barony of Strathspey.
List of title holders
Barons Strathspey (1858)
- John Charles Ogilvy-Grant, 7th Earl of Seafield, 1st Baron Strathspey (1815–1881)
- Ian Charles Ogilvy-Grant, 8th Earl of Seafield, 2nd Baron Strathspey (1851–1884)
Barons Strathspey (1884)
- James Ogilvy-Grant, 9th Earl of Seafield, 1st Baron Strathspey (1817–1888)
- Francis William Ogilvy-Grant, 10th Earl of Seafield, 2nd Baron Strathspey (1847–1888)
- James Ogilvie-Grant, 11th Earl of Seafield, 3rd Baron Strathspey (1876–1915)
- Trevor Ogilvie-Grant, 4th Baron Strathspey (1879–1948)
- Donald Patrick Trevor Grant of Grant, 5th Baron Strathspey (1912–1992)
- James Patrick Trevor Grant of Grant, 6th Baron Strathspey (b. 1943)
The heir presumptive is the present holder's brother Hon. Michael Patrick Grant of Grant (b. 1953).
- Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David, eds. (1990). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage. New York: St Martin's Press.
- http://www.leighrayment.com/lords.htm[permanent dead link]
- http://www.leighrayment.com.commons.htm[permanent dead link]