This biographical article is written like a résumé. (May 2012)
The Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town
|Born||7 September 1949|
Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany
|Alma mater||Trevelyan College|
University of Durham
Dianne Hayter, Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town (born 7 September 1949) is a British politician and Labour Co-operative member of the House of Lords who has served as a member of the Labour Party National Executive Committee from 1998 to 2010 representing the Socialist Societies. She was Chair of the Labour Party from 2007 to 2008.
She is the daughter of Flt Lt Alec Bristow Hayter (d 1972), and Nancy Evans (d 1959). Educated at Trevelyan College, Durham University, where she studied Social and Public Administration (BA), she gained a doctorate at London University in 2004.
She was the General Secretary of the Fabian Society between 1976 and 1982 and Chief Executive of the European Parliamentary Labour Party during 1990 to 1996. Hayter has written Fabian Tract no. 451—The Labour Party: Crisis and Prospects (September 1977), Fightback—Labour's traditional right in the 1970s and 1980s (2005), and Men Who Made Labour—Celebrating the Centenary of the Parliamentary Labour Party (2006) (with Lord Haworth).
She is a board member of a number of organisations, including the Financial Reporting Council's Board of Actuarial Standards, the Determinations Panel of The Pensions Regulator, the Surveying Ombudsman Service, and the Insolvency Practices Council. She is chair of the Legal Services Consumer Panel and was formerly vice chairman of the Financial Services Authority Consumer Panel and chair of the Consumer Panel of the Bar Standards Board.
- The Labour Party: crisis and prospects (Fabian Soc.), 1977;
- (contrib.) Labour in the Eighties, 1980;
- (contrib.) Prime Minister Portillo and Other Things that Never Happened, 2003;
- Fightback!: Labour's Traditional Right in the 1970s and 1980s, 2005;
- (ed jtly with Lord Haworth) Men Who Made Labour, 2006;
- (contrib.) From the Workhouse to Welfare, 2009.
- Voice for the People, Durham University, retrieved 2009-12-13
- Collection Catalogues and Descriptions, Labour Party Archive and Study Centre
- Consumer Panel, Bar Standards Board, archived from the original on 2008-08-20, retrieved 2008-06-22
- Today in the Lords
- "No. 59470". The London Gazette. 25 June 2010. p. 12025.
- Once they were revolutionaries, Camden New Journal, 4 November 2005, retrieved 2008-06-22
- Labour Party profile
- National Consumer Council profile
- Fightback!: Labour's Traditional Right in the 1970s and 1980s, Dianne Hayter, 2005, ISBN 0-7190-7271-9
|Party political offices|
| General Secretary of the Fabian Society
| Chair of the Fabian Society
| Socialist societies representative on the Labour Party National Executive Committee
Keith Vaz and Simon Wright