Barotac Viejo, Iloilo
|Municipality of Barotac Viejo|
Map of Iloilo with Barotac Viejo highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|District||5th district of Iloilo|
|Barangays||26 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Niel C. Tupas III|
|• Electorate||26,885 voters (2016)|
|• Total||185.78 km2 (71.73 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||250/km2 (640/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)33|
|Climate type||tropical climate|
|Income class||3rd municipal income class|
Barotac Viejo is in the northern part of the Province of Iloilo, facing the strait of Guimaras and the island of Negros. It is bounded on the north by San Rafael, on the west by Banate, on the south by the Visayan Sea, and on the east by Ajuy. It is 57 kilometres (35 mi) from Iloilo City.
The total land area of 18,578 hectares (45,910 acres). 
Topography and land features
A range of sprawling hills and high mountains occupy three quarters of the land of Barotac Viejo. Mount Agumid on the northern boundary with San Rafael is the highest mountain, at about 550 meter high.
The town is divided by a long mountain range dividing it into the upper and lower regions. The upper region is approximately 1,000 feet above sea level. The climate is generally cooler than ordinary and rain is more abundant. The lower region is compose of rice producing areas. This part is near the sea and is well populated.
Rainy season sets in about May and last up to the middle of January. The rainfall in the upper region is comparatively heavier than the lower region. This is due to the chain of high mountains surrounding the place and innumerable springs that flow along the foot of the hills the heaviest rainfall occurs about in the early part of September during the south monsoon. Under usual condition, Barotac Viejo receives up to 100 centimetres (39 in) of rainfall. The average however in the upper region is 42 centimetres (17 in) and in the lower region 36 centimetres (14 in). Dry season sets in a little earlier in the lower region than in the upper region.
The Barotac Viejo River is the longest and the widest river passing through the heart of the town. It has never been dry but it sometimes overflows its banks on rainy days. The river is utilized for bathing, laundry and fishing.
The municipality has approximately 10 miles of shallow shorelines and nearby are fishponds.
- Del Pilar
- De la Peña
- General Luna
- La Fortuna
- Nueva Invencion
- Nueva Sevilla
- Puerto Princesa
- San Antonio
- San Fernando
- San Francisco
- San Geronimo
- San Juan
- San Lucas
- San Miguel
- San Roque
- Santo Domingo
- Santo Tomas
- Vista Alegre
|Population census of
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Barotac Viejo was 45,808 people, with a density of 250 inhabitants per square kilometre or 650 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Iloilo". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "R.A. No. 1735, An Act Converting the Sitio of Poscolon in the Barrio of Calaigang, Municipality of Barotac Viejo, Province of Iloilo, into a Barrio of Said Municipality to Be Known As the Barrio of Poscolon". L awPH.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- "R.A. No. 2109, An Act Converting the Sitio of Poscolon in the Barrio of Calaigang, Municipality of Barotac Viejo, Province of Iloilo into a Barrio of Said Municipality to Be Known As the Barrio of Poscolon". LawPH.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- The equivalent Republic Acts, from the official website of the Philippine Supreme Court, are the following: R.A. No. 1735 Archived August 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. and R.A. No. 2109 Archived August 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine..
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region VI (Western Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Province of Iloilo". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barotac Viejo, Iloilo.|