Barr (placename element)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
- Barr, commune of Alsace, France.
- Bar, commune of Corrèze, Limousin, France,
- Bar-sur-Aube and Bar-sur-Seine, communes of Aube, Champagne, France,
- Bar-le-Duc, commune of Lorraine, France, etc.
but not Le Bar-sur-Loup, a former Albarn > Aubarn.
In Alps, the word applies to rocky escarpments:
- la Barre des Écrins is a mountain in French Alps.
This root should not be mistaken for the Basque root Bar- / ibar 'valley'.
Notes and references
- Éric Vial, Les noms de villes et de village, Belin, 1983, ISBN 2-7011-0476-9