Barret Spencer Oliver|
August 24, 1973
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Former child actor, photographer|
|Years active||1980 - 1989|
|Awards||Saturn Award 1986|
Barret Spencer Oliver (born August 24, 1973) is an American photographer and former child actor. He is known for his role as Bastian Balthazar Bux in the film adaptation of Michael Ende's novel The Neverending Story, followed by roles in D.A.R.Y.L., Cocoon and Cocoon: The Return.
Oliver had minor roles in television and film, until starring as Bastian in the 1984 movie The NeverEnding Story. Subsequently, he was cast as the lead in Tim Burton's short film Frankenweenie and as the android "Daryl" in the 1985 film D.A.R.Y.L., a part for which he won a Saturn Award.
Later Oliver became a printer and photographer, specializing in nineteenth century processes such as collodion and Woodburytype. His work has been displayed in museum and gallery exhibitions and used in films. In 2007, his book A History of the Woodburytype was published by Carl Mautz Publishing.
|1982||Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again||Child in supermarket|
|1982||Kiss Me Goodbye||Little Boy|
|1982||The Circle Family||Q.P.||Television movie|
|1983||Uncommon Valor||Kid #2|
|1984||The NeverEnding Story||Bastian|
|1984||Invitation to Hell||Robbie Winslow|
|1984||Frankenweenie||Victor Frankenstein||Short film|
|1985||D.A.R.Y.L.||Daryl||Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor|
Nominated—Young Artist Award for Best Young Actor in a Motion Picture
|1986||Spot Marks the X||Ken Miller||Television movie|
|1987||The Secret Garden||Dickon Sowerby||Television movie|
|1988||Cocoon: The Return||David|
|1989||Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills||Willie Saravian|
|1981||The Incredible Hulk||Jimmy the Kid||Episode: "Veteran"|
|1982||Knight Rider||Buddy||Episode: "Knight of the Phoenix - Part 1 & 2"|
|1983||Love, Sidney||Unknown||Episode: "Surprise Party"|
|1984||Lottery!||Unknown||Episode: "San Diego - Bingo!"|
|1984||Highway to Heaven||Arthur Nealy||Episode: "To Touch the Moon"|
Nominated—Young Artist Award for Best Young Guest Actor in a Television Series
|1984||Finder of Lost Loves||Matthew Powell||Episode: "Portraits"|
|1986||The Twilight Zone||Georgie||Episode: "Gramma"|
|1987||Tall Tales & Legends||Hendrick Van Tassel||Episode: "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"|
|1988||Hooperman||Anthony||Episode: "Me and Mr. Magoo"|
Awards and nominations
|1983||Young Artist Award||The Circle Family||Best Young Actor in a Television Special||Nominated|
|1985||Highway to Heaven||Best Young Actor - Guest in a Television Series||Nominated|
|The NeverEnding Story||Best Young Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical, Comedy, Adventure or Drama||Nominated|
|1986||D.A.R.Y.L.||Best Starring Performance by a Young Actor - Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor||Best Performance by a Younger Actor||Won|
- Mayo, Michael (May 1985). "Frankenweenie". Cinefantastique. 15 (2): 4–5, 61.
- Lofficier, Randy; Lofficier, Jean-Marc (August 1985). "Call Him D.A.R.Y.L." Starlog. New York, NY: O'Quinn Studios, Inc. 9 (97): 34–35. ISSN 0191-4626.
- Canby, Vincent (9 June 1989). "Scenes From the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills". New York Times. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "about Barret Oliver". Carl Mautz Publishing. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Fourth Annual Youth in Film Awards, 1981–1982". Young Artist Awards. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Sixth Annual Youth in Film Awards, 1983–1984". Young Artist Awards. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Seventh Annual Youth in Film Awards, 1984–1985". Young Artist Awards. Archived from the original on 14 November 2010. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- "Saturn Awards: Best Performance by a Younger Actor, 1985". Saturn Awards. Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films. Archived from the original on 12 May 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2010.
- Holmstrom, John. The Moving Picture Boy: An International Encyclopaedia from 1895 to 1995, Norwich, Michael Russell, 1996, pp. 393–394.