He began developing the E Ink display during nights and weekends at the MIT Media Lab in 1995, at the age of 19, after MIT professor Joseph Jacobson challenged him to create a technology that would mimic the appearance of ink on paper. 
Comiskey ultimately conceived of the microencapsulated electrophoretic display, which overcame the many practical challenges faced by previous attempts at realizing workable particle-based displays. In 1997, after years of research and experimentation, Comiskey and fellow MIT undergraduate JD Albert realized a working prototype.
While still an undergraduate at MIT, Comiskey was published as first author of the May 1998 cover article of Nature magazine, "An electrophoretic ink for all-printed reflective electronic displays".
Comiskey holds 72 patents. He was recognized as a “Technology Pioneer” by the World Economic Forum, and was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in May 2016 for the invention and commercialization of E Ink, together with Joe Jacobson and JD Albert.
Comiskey founded Migo in 2009. Migo is an offline digital distribution platform, built to close the Gigabyte Gap for the billions in emerging markets who cannot afford large volumes of data required for many online services.
The company has commercial operations in the Philippines and has an R&D center in Taipei, Taiwan.
Personal life and education
- "Migo". www.migo.tv. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Interview with Barrett Comiskey, father of electronic ink: "Our objective was to give life to the surfaces around us"". Interview with Barrett Comiskey, father of electronic ink: “Our objective was to give life to the surfaces around us” | The paper | Visionect. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- "How Electronic Ink Was Invented - Science Friday". Science Friday. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Klein, Alec. "A New Printing Technology Sets Off a High-Stakes Race". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- Jones, Chris (2008-09-23). "The New American". Esquire. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- McCrum, Robert. "E-read all about it". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- Comiskey, Barrett; Albert, J. D.; Yoshizawa, Hidekazu; Jacobson, Joseph (1998-07-16). "An electrophoretic ink for all-printed reflective electronic displays". Nature. 394 (6690): 253–255. doi:10.1038/28349. ISSN 0028-0836.
- "Patent Database: "Comiskey, Barrett" U.S. Patent Collection". patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 2015-12-08.[permanent dead link]
- "The World Economic Forum Designates Technology Pioneers for 2002: Barrett Comiskey, Co-Founder of E Ink Corporation, Selected". www.thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Barrett Comiskey, LinkedIn". www.linkedin.com. Retrieved 2015-12-08.