Barrow-upon-Soar railway station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Local authority||Borough of Charnwood|
|Managed by||East Midlands Trains|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Barrow-upon-Soar from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The first station at Barrow was opened in 1840 by the Midland Counties Railway, which shortly joined the North Midland Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway to form the Midland Railway.
It was originally known simply as Barrow, but became Barrow-upon-Soar in 1871. When Quorn and Woodhouse was opened by the rival Great Central Railway on the opposite (western) side of Quorn, it became Barrow-upon-Soar and Quorn in 1899. Neither station, in fact, was ideally located for Quorn being about equidistant from its centre.
Barrow was the only station on the line to retain much of its original MCR architecture. However it was completely demolished following its closure in 1968.
A new station was opened a little to the southeast of the original site on 27 May 1994 as part of phase one of the Ivanhoe Line.
In August 2016, a road bridge by the station partially collapsed during maintenance work, severely disrupting train services.
- The station is served by Monday to Saturday (there is no Sunday service) by East Midlands Trains, who operate local services from Leicester to Nottingham and Lincoln via Loughborough and Newark.
- The 15:51 northbound service continues from Lincoln to Sleaford.
- East Midlands Trains London services from Leeds, Sheffield and London run through at high speed, but do not stop. Interchange with Mainline services can be made at Leicester and Loughborough.
- First southbound service is the: 06:57. Last is the: 21:58
- First northbound service is the: 06:52. Last is the: 21:41
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|East Midlands Trains|
For journeys beginning at Barrow upon Soar, the full range of tickets for travel for any destination in the country are purchased from the guard on the train at no extra cost. It is a penalty fare station however, so a permit to travel must be bought from the machine installed at the entrance to the station before joining the train.
- Higginson, M. (1989). The Midland Counties Railway: A Pictorial Survey. Derby: Midland Railway Trust.
- Radford, B. (1983). Midland Line Memories: a Pictorial History of the Midland Railway Main Line Between London (St Pancras) & Derby. London: Bloomsbury Books.
- Table 53 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barrow-upon-Soar railway station.|