Barrow High School
||This article may lend undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies . (December 2015)|
|Barrow High School|
Barrow High School in the dark of winter
|Principal||Dr. Sherry McKenzie|
|Grades||9 – 12|
|Number of students||233|
|Color(s)||Blue & Gold|
Barrow High School is a public high school in Barrow, Alaska, United States, operated by the North Slope Borough School District. As of the 2009-2010 school year, the school had 214 students. The current principal is Dr. Sherry McKenzie, and the assistant principal is Emily B. Rosenberry.
In 2011, the football team finished the regular season with a 7-1 record and qualified for the Alaska Small School State Playoffs. They eventually advanced to the state finals, but were defeated by powerhouse Nikiski. The Whalers' football team finished the season with a 8-2 record.
In 2015, the Barrow High School football team and its staff participated in a TV show entitled Football Town: Barrow, Alaska, which chronicled the team during their 2015 season. The show was broadcast on the NFL Network and premiered on September 22, 2015. The season ran for eight episodes and followed the daily lives of the Whalers' football players, coaches, parents, and staff throughout the season. The Whalers ended the 2015 season with a 5-3 record, and qualified for the Alaska state playoffs. Unfortunately, the Whalers were eliminated in the first round by powerhouse Nikiski. The Whalers finished the 2015 season with a 5-4 record and were ranked as the #20 high school football team in Alaska by MaxPreps.
In 2015, the Barrow boys' basketball team won the Alaska Class 3A State Championship with a 50-40 victory over two-time defending state champion, Monroe Catholic. The Whalers' team was led by 5-star recruit Kamaka Hepa, a 6'7" freshman who is regarded as one of the top basketball recruits in the country. He is currently ranked as the #21 ranked basketball recruit in the country by ESPN for the class of 2018. The Whalers' boys' basketball team finished the 2014-2015 season with a 24-3 record, the highest win percentage in school history.
- Boys' Basketball - State Champions (2015)
- Football - State Finalists (2011)
- "Barrow High School - Alaska Public Schools Database".
- "Assistant Principal Information / Assistant Principal ~ Ronnie Stanford "Pikuq"".
- Playing in Barrow is all kinds of cool to Delta Archived October 13, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Broadcast to make history
- "Football Town: Barrow Alaska". 15 September 2015 – via IMDb.
- "Barrow High School Football Schedule".
- "Kamaka Hepa - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN".
- "ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Super 60 Player Rankings".
- Official website
- The Real Frozen Tundra: Part One of an ESPN article on the Barrow High School football team
- On Top of the World: Part Two of an ESPN article on the Barrow High School football team
- The Frozen Tundra - Barrow High School Football - Digg