Barry Desker is a Singapore diplomat and corporate executive. He is the non-resident ambassador to the Vatican and Spain, as well as Singapore's representative to the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights. Desker also serves as the chairman of the board of governors of Singapore Technologies Marine. He is a trustee of Singapore's Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, as well as a distinguished fellow and former dean of the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies. He is also a member of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights.
He was Singapore’s Ambassador to Indonesia from 1986 to 1993. He retired from the foreign service in 1993 and was appointed the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Trade Development Board (1994-2000). He was Singapore's Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations in New York. He was previously on the Boards of Sime SembCorp Engineering Sdn Bhd, Sembawang Engineering and Construction (now SembCorp Utilities) and Jurong Port.
Desker took over as director of the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies (IDSS) in 2000. The IDSS was expanded to a full graduate school and policy-focused think tank in 2007, and was renamed as the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies. Desker stepped down as dean of the school in 2014.
- Organisational memberships
- List of Members of the Trilateral Commission , accessed 18 March 2014.
- "Mr Barry Desker appointed Singapore's representative to Asean Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights". The Straits Times. 4 December 2015.
- "Long-time dean of RSIS Barry Desker hands reins to envoy Ong Keng Yong". The Straits Times. 3 November 2014.
- Aidan Dunne. "List Of Trilateral Commission Members". The Trilateral Commission. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
|This Singaporean biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|