Barry Knight (politician)
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates|
from the 81st district
Assumed office |
January 8, 2009
|Preceded by||Terrie Suit|
September 26, 1954|
Princess Anne County, Virginia
|Spouse(s)||Paula Jane Whitehurst|
|Children||Hunter, Kyle, Forrest|
|Residence||Virginia Beach, Virginia|
|Committees||Counties, Cities and Towns; Transportation|
Barry D. Knight (born September 26, 1954, in Princess Anne County, Virginia) is an American politician. A Republican, he was elected a member of the Virginia House of Delegates in a special election on January 6, 2009. He currently represents[update] the 81st district, made up of parts of the cities of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake.
Knight was born and raised on a farm. After graduation from Kempsville High School, he worked as a truck driver to raise enough money to buy his own hog farm. As of 2008[update] his business, Barry D. Knight Farms, produced about 12,000 hogs a year.
Knight was named the Virginia Farm Bureau's Young Farmer of the Year in 1983. He was president of the Tidewater Pork Producers 1984–1990. He was chairman of the Southern States Cooperative, and is[update] vice president of the Virginia Beach Farm Bureau.
Knight served on the Virginia Pork Board, a gubernatorial appointment, 1995–c.2001. He was appointed to the Virginia Beach Planning Commission in 2003, and elected chair in 2006.
In September 2008, Delegate Terrie Suit resigned her 81st district seat to take a job as a lobbyist. Knight ran for the Republican nomination, winning a three-way primary contest on November 29 over Virginia Beach Sheriff Paul Lanteigne and Tom Keeley, a retired United States Navy officer. Knight received 1,309 votes out of 2,218 ballots cast. He went on to beat Democratic activist John LaCombe handily in the special election on January 6, 2009.
- "January 6, 2009 Special Election Unofficial Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on May 22, 2011. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- Virginia House of Delegates 2009
- "About Barry". Campaign web site. 2008-12-03. Archived from the original on 2009-01-04.
- Warren, John (2008-11-30). "Knight wins GOP nod for vacant House of Delegates seat". The Virginian-Pilot. Archived from the original on 1 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-02.
- "Virginia House of Delegates 2009; Delegate Barry D. Knight". Virginia House of Delegates. Retrieved 2009-01-12.[permanent dead link]
- "Barry D. Knight; A common sense approach". Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-02. (Constituent/campaign website)
- "Election Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on 2010-06-17.
- "Delegate Barry Knight (R-Virginia Beach)". Richmond Sunlight.
- "Barry D Knight". Virginia Public Access Project.
|This article about a member of the Virginia House of Delegates is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|