Barry Mason (cyclist)
However, he was best known in his later years for supporting community and environmental projects in Southwark, South London. For a time he managed school building projects for Southwark Council, then became manager of Surrey Docks Farm.
For many years he was the voluntary co-ordinator of Southwark Cyclists, whose secretary described him as "visionary and energetic over very many years in campaigning to improve safety and security for cyclists". Mason helped to make it one of the most active of the London Cycling Campaign's borough groups, as well as reviving the neighbouring Greenwich Cyclists. He imparted skill and confidence to many other cyclists through his maintenance classes and rides, including mass rides on Christmas Day, and became more widely known among cyclists for organising return transport from the Dunwich Dynamo, an annual midsummer ride from London to Suffolk. He was cited by the press on cycling-related subjects such as safety and parking, and won the London Cycling Personality of the Year award in 2006.
Barry Mason died while swimming off the coast near Rodiles in northern Spain during a cycling holiday in June 2011 with his partner Cheryl. He had a son and daughter from his marriage. Tributes poured in on Twitter and cycling forums. His funeral, a humanist ceremony, was attended by hundreds of people.
- Cycle campaigner Barry Mason dies on holiday in Spain, London SE1 News, Bankside Press, 5 June 2011
- Parsons, Rob (6 June 2011). "Tributes to cycling campaigner who died swimming on holiday in Spain". Evening Standard. Archived from the original on 9 June 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- Barry Mason, LCC
- Field, Patrick. Dunwich Dynamo XIX. London School of Cycling, 2011. Accessed: 2011-06-05. (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5zDuiGOAM?url=http://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk/dunwich.html )
- James Randerson, A moonlit bike ride to remember: the legendary Dunwich Dynamo, The Guardian, 7 July 2009
- Millard, Neil (18 May 2009). "Cyclist dies in hit-and-run with lorry". Evening Standard. Retrieved 8 June 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Leach, Anna (19 May 2010). "Why are female cyclists so vulnerable to lorries?". Guardian. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- Barford, Vanessa (31 July 2008). "The etiquette of bike parking". BBC. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- London Cycling Awards, 2006, LCC
- Lydall, Ross. "London unites in tribute to cycling campaigner". London at Large. Evening Standard blog. Archived from the original on 9 June 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "Family, colleagues and friend say farewell to legendary campaigner Barry Mason". London Cycling Campaign. 8 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2011-07-16. Citing Francis Sedgemore (7 July 2011). "No black, no lycra, two good locks". Archived from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- on YouTube - Barry Mason in LCC video